Newt Fowler’s clients receive practical, actionable business counsel. With more than 30 years’ experience representing companies and investors in a wide range of transactional, corporate and securities matters, Newt’s background and experience, both as a lawyer and entrepreneur, gives him a deep understanding of business needs and enables him to help clients focus on what matters and make informed decisions.
Newt’s practice includes all aspects of business planning and advisory services, private equity and venture financings (for both funds and issuers), mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and complex commercial transactions, and technology and intellectual property issues, including commercialization strategies, licensing, protection and a wide range of other technology transactions.
He also advises many of the region’s leading technology companies and investment funds on organization and structure, financing strategies and investments, equity distribution and rights, and other transactional matters. Newt’s representation of companies also includes advising on board of director duties, governance issues, and negotiating resolution of business disputes.
Newt is consistently recognized as a leading transactional lawyer, with acknowledgments in Chambers USA and "Best Lawyers in America".
- Board Chair, Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO)
- Board Member, Economic Alliance of Greater Baltimore
- Columnist, Citybizlist
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA 2018 Ranked Lawyer, Corporate: M&A, Maryland
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Copyright Law, Corporate Law, International Mergers & Acquisitions, Patent Law, Technology Law, Trademark Law, 2011 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree in the fields of Business/Corporate, Technology Transactions, Securities & Corporate Finance, Maryland Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2010 – 2014
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Technology "Lawyer of the Year" award in Baltimore, 2013
- ALM Washington D.C. & Baltimore's Top Rated Lawyers, Business & Commercial, 2012
- Baltimore SmartCEO Magazine's Legal Elite, 2009 – 2010
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented R2i Holdings, a leading web strategy firm, in its private equity financings, acquisitions and recent recapitalization with Baird Capital.
- Represented JPB Capital Partners in several private equity financings including its recent financing of South Moon Under, a leading women’s fashion retailer.
- Represented BrideEdU, a provider of student support services, in its formation and venture financings.
- Represented Camden Partners Holdings, a leading private equity firm, in several control investments.
- Represented Netcraftsmen, a leading IT software engineering firm, in its recapitalization and subsequent transactions.