Recognized as a Rising Star by Washington DC Super Lawyers, Lela has a proven track record of successfully and zealously representing her clients. Lela is a versatile and trial-tested litigator, having served as lead counsel and trial counsel in a wide range of disputes involving commercial real estate, financial services, manufacturing, contracts, and business torts. Lela counsels clients at all stages of litigation and practices before a variety of tribunals. Her diverse experience includes successful bench and jury trials, complex electronic discovery, depositions, motions hearings, mediations and arbitrations, emergency injunctive relief, and appeals.
Lela is committed to excellent client service and takes a client-first, business-minded approach to her practice. Lela takes the time to understand her clients’ priorities, businesses, and industries, and provides upfront case assessment and analysis to best achieve results aligned with her clients’ objectives. Always practical and keenly attuned to her clients’ business needs, Lela efficiently staffs and manages cases to provide the best value to her clients. Importantly, Lela openly communicates with her clients to develop trust and establish the strong strategic partnerships needed to effectively litigate and resolve disputes.
Beyond Gay Paree: What Does the Enlargement of the European Union Mean for Same-Sex Partners? Emory International Law Review, Fall 2004
Super Lawyers; Rising Star
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained arbitration and attorneys’ fees award against nation’s largest cable provider and an audit of amounts provider owed under a revenue share agreement for telecommunications services on behalf of a real estate client.
- Trial counsel for national housing developer in lawsuit against local government entities seeking over $80 million in damages for constitutional violations, including procedural and substantive due process, equal protection, and unlawful takings claims.
- Trial counsel for global manufacturer of appliance products in breach of contract, breach of warranty, and Uniform Commercial Code violation action against a supplier that wrongfully terminated a requirements agreement, resulting in a $1.5 million jury verdict in favor of client.
- Obtained dismissals on behalf of large financial institutions in multiple consumer lawsuits alleging various common law and statutory claims, including violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA).
- Trial counsel for national REIT in consolidated actions involving multi-million dollar contract disputes. Matter successfully settled.