Over nearly 25 years, Neill Edwards has amassed extensive experience in multistate and local tax planning, controversy, and related regulatory work – on a national level as well as in multistate economic development matters. This experience covers all 50 states, and virtually all categories of tax, escheat/unclaimed property, and related state regulatory imposts.
He serves blue chip and other major clients in virtually all industry sectors, handling traditional entity and individual tax work, as well as for various hybrid and exotic entities. In addition to more traditional planning and controversy offerings (audit preparation, management, and defense, administrative/judicial appeals, nexus/reverse nexus work, sourcing planning, affiliate, attributional, and cross-border tax planning), Neill has extensive experience in less traditional offerings such as voluntary disclosure vs. amnesty, offers in compromise, managed audits, ruling requests, and multidisciplinary, multistate choice of law, reorganizational, and legislative and regulatory solutions.
He has successfully worked on numerous matters of “first impression” in various states, and has negotiated several billion dollars’ in grants, credits, abatements, and related incentives. He has reduced multimillion-dollar assessments to nominal dollars and zero findings and has even secured refunds. He has also written US and state Supreme Court briefs on tax and tax-related constitutional issues.
- NC Data Center Incentives: A Case Study in North Carolina (and Multi-Jurisdictional) Economic Development, NC Chamber Annual Tax Conference (November 2010)
- An In-Depth Comparison of NC and SC ‘Datacenter’/’Data Center’ Incentives, C&W International Mission Critical Industry Webinar (April 2010)
- Martindale-Hubbell North Carolina Law Digest, Taxation Section; Recent Economy-Driven Trends and Changes in Economic Development – A Multi-Jurisdictional Approach, North Carolina Bar Journal (Feb., 2004)
- Building to Suit: Economic Development Makes for a Better Future, Southeast Real Estate Business (Sep., 2002)
- The Georgia Guide to Financing & Incentives, Georgia Center for Site Selection (1996)
- Co-Author- Starting & Operating a Business in Georgia, PSI Research/Oasis Press (1995)
- Yucca Mountain, or: How We Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Department of Energy’s High-Level Waste Disposal Guidelines, 12 Virginia Environmental Law Journal 271 (Winter 1993)