John Scannapieco assists both US and foreign businesses engaged in the global economy. For more than three decades, he has provided strategic guidance and counsel to businesses and individuals regarding their existing global operations or to those contemplating global expansion.
John’s practice is focused on cross-border transactions. He assists domestic and foreign clients in connection with the sale or disposition of assets, as well as the negotiation and drafting of distribution, manufacturing, employment and agency agreements throughout the world, including the United States, Central and South America, Europe and Asia. He also advises companies that are contemplating pursuing a strategy in China, as well as companies that are currently doing business in China or with Chinese businesses. In addition, John assists US manufacturing companies with their activities overseas and foreign companies desiring to expand operations to the US. He works with US-based health care companies in a number of foreign jurisdictions, including China, Europe, Central and South America and the Caribbean. John has also worked with several companies in connection with the expansion of their global workforce.
John serves as Honorary Consul from Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Tennessee. He has been involved in TerraLex and Mackrell International, two leading international legal networks. Through his involvement in these organizations, he routinely helps clients locate resources, including legal, financial accounting or other assistance, to complete transactions or to resolve disputes throughout the world.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a US bio-technology company in connection with its expansion to Australia.
- Represented a US company in connection with the termination of distribution agreements in Europe and Australia.
- Represented a US company in connection with consumer product safety disclosures in both Japan and the United States.
- Represented a US company in connection with due diligence, negotiation and drafting of manufacturing agreement with Chinese manufacturing company.
- Represented a US health care company in connection with the negotiation and drafting of services agreement with Chinese health care company and Chinese hospital.
- Represented several US companies in the negotiation and drafting of agency agreements in Europe, South America and Asia.
- Represented several US companies in the negotiation and drafting of distribution and manufacturing agreements in Europe, the Americas and Asia.
- Assisted US companies in establishing a business presence in China, including entity formation, tax issues and other related matters.
- Assisted a US-based outsourced medical provider in exploring opportunities to expand services in Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Brazil and several Caribbean nations.
- Assisted a Chinese appliance manufacturer in connection with a diligence project in the United States, France, Italy, Thailand, and Singapore related to the company’s initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Represented a Malaysian technology conglomerate in connection with its acquisition of assets located in the United States as part of a larger global acquisition, including preparing initial CFIUS assessment, as well as the CFIUS joint notice.
- Assisted a Chinese company in compliance with requirements of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anti-corruption statutes and regulations.
- Assisted US companies doing business abroad in compliance with requirements of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anti-corruption statutes and regulations.
- Represented a US company in connection with its design of a hospital facility in China.
- Assisted a Chinese company with various employment issues that arise in the United States.
- Represented a US company in connection with its purchase of manufacturing equipment from a Chinese company.
- Represented a US company in connection with the sale of its interest in a Chinese joint venture to a Hong Kong entity.
- Assisted a US company in connection with its global employment needs.
- Assisted numerous US companies in connection with employment issues that arose in various countries around the world as employees became trapped outside of the US due to COVID-related travel restrictions.
- Represented two sister pharmaceutical companies in connection with the negotiation of the sale of their assets to a buyer affiliated with and funded by a Chinese entity. Assets sold consisted of realty and personalty in Kentucky and Puerto Rico, and purchase price, including tax credits and earnouts, equaled $36 million. Representation involved the assignment of contracts with state and federal government agencies, the negotiation of a novation agreement and other assignment agreements, and other regulatory and compliance matters.
- Represented a Chinese heat exchangers manufacturing company with its $20 million foreign direct investment in Tennessee, including negotiation of incentives with the State of Tennessee and with the city, and assisted company with leasing, labor and employment and other business matters.
- Assisted a leading Chinese garment manufacturing company with its $410 million foreign direct investment in the State of Arkansas, including immigration and other business matters.
- Represented a major Chinese ceramic manufacturing company in connection with its $150 million foreign direct investment in Tennessee, including construction, commercial contracts, immigration, labor and employment and business matters.
- Represented a Chinese auto parts manufacturer in connection with its $90 million foreign direct investment in Tennessee, including the negotiation of its PILOT Agreement.
- Represented a Chinese electric vehicle battery manufacturer in connection with its $100 million foreign direct investment in Kentucky, including construction, commercial contracts, immigration, labor and employment, CFIUS and related business matters.
- Represented a Chinese electric vehicle battery manufacturer in connection with several joint venture projects to provide electric vehicle batteries in the US.
Professional & Civic Engagement
- Honorary Consul from Great Britain and Northern Ireland for Tennessee, 2016 – present
- Board Member, Japan American Society of Tennessee, 2013 – present (Chair, 2016-2019)
- Member, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, International Business Council, Board of Directors, 2008 − present
- Member, Tennessee Economic Development Council
- Member, Belmont University Center for International Business, Advisory Board
- Member, Leadership Health Care
- Member, Tennessee District Export Council (Vice-Chair, 2018-Present)
- Member, American Health Law Association, International Section
- Board Member, Tennessee World Affairs Council
- Board Member, US Global Leadership Coalition, Tennessee Advisory Committee
- Member, Expert Advisory Committee of the Zibo Arbitration Center, Zibo, the People's Republic of China
- Guest, “A Conversation with John Scannapieco,” Global Tennessee podcast, February 2022
- Co-author, “How an International Business Can Enter the U.S. Market Via M&A,” Area Development, September 2021
- Co-author, "What the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement Means for US and Foreign Companies," Global Trade Magazine, January 4, 2021
- Co-author, "How China's New Export Control Law May Impact Your Business," Global Trade, November 2020
- Co-author, "SBA Extends Safe Harbor Deadline to May 14, 2020 and Confirms that Foreign Affiliate Employees Must be Counted for Size Purposes," Global Trade Magazine, May 14, 2020
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: Coronavirus Poses Contract, Employment Issues for US Businesses," Bloomberg Law, February 2020
- Guest, "Coronavirus: Health and Commercial Implications | Ep 37," Global Tennessee podcast, February 2020
- Co-author, "The US China Trade War Will Continue Hurting the US Economy," Manufacturing.net, November 2018
- Co-author, "Auto Industry's High Stakes in USMCA Implementation," Ward's Auto, October 2018
- Contributing Author, "United States Chapter," A Legal and Regulatory Handbook for Setting up Overseas, 2018
- Co-author, "Tit-For-Tat Tariffs Heighten Trade Tensions," Industry Today, April 2018
- Co-author, "Section 301 Escalates Trade Risks," Industry Today, April 2018
- Co-author, "Foreign Investors Should Not Let Fear of CFIUS Limit Investment in US Manufacturers," Industry Week, August 2017
- Author, "Guest Column: Trump's Threats to Global Business and its Local Impact," Nashville Business Journal, January 2017
- Author, "Chinese Investors See Potential in Tennessee Expansion," Nashville Business Journal, June 2016
- Moderator, “Economic Security is National Security,” Womble Bond Dickinson Global Supply Chain Panel Discussion, Washington, D.C., September 2022
- "Developing a “Get to Yes” Strategy for Your Investment Transaction,” Association of Corporate Counsel (National Capital Region) Advanced Topics Conference, September 2022
- Speaker, "The Future of Korea Project United States-Republic of Korea Relations," Tennessee World Affairs Council, January 2021
- Speaker, "Election 2020: China: Cooperation or Confrontation or Conflict?," Tennessee World Affairs Council, September 2020
- Speaker, "Best Practices in Managing Your Workforce During Times of Economic Uncertainty," The CFO Leadership Council – Nashville Chapter, August 2020
- Speaker, "Consul-General of Japan Fukushima Talks to 'Global Nashville with Karl Dean'," Tennessee World Affairs Council, August 2020
- Speaker "China-US 2039: The Endgame? Conversation with Admiral Bill Owens," Tennessee World Affairs Council, July 2020
- Speaker, "Global Nashville: Karl Dean' & Lord Mayor of Belfast Alderman Frank McCoubrey," Tennessee World Affairs Council, July 2020
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), International Arbitration - Commercial and International Arbitration - Governmental (2023 - Present), Litigation - ERISA (2011 - Present)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (Thompson Reuters) (2014-2023)
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Litigation - ERISA "Lawyer of the Year" award in Nashville, 2013, 2015 and 2019