Creditors, landlords, trustees and those with equity interests in commercial bankruptcy cases, fraudulent conveyance litigation and preference lawsuits rely on Jeff’s seasoned legal counsel. With more than 35 years of experience in bankruptcy cases, Jeff not only has the knowledge and background to deal with almost any issue that can arise in a commercial bankruptcy case, but he also has a long track record of achieving successful results for his clients.
- Springing Guaranty Risks In The Current Economy, Bankruptcy Law360, February 5, 2009
- Loan Purchase Transactions: An Innovative Approach to Acquiring Real Estate Assets in a Downturn Market, co-authored with Pamela V. Rothenberg, The Real Estate Finance Journal, Spring 2008
- Landlords Can Deflect Dot Com Defaults, Bankruptcies, Washington Business Journal, November 9, 2001
- The TMA Publishes a Resource for Lenders, The Journal of Corporate Renewal, May 1997
- Curbing Gap Period Abuses, ABI Journal, November 1997
- Applying Payments of Excess Rents Made During the Pendency of a Chapter 11 Case, 6 Bankr. Law News, Winter 1993
- Bankruptcy: Its Effect on the Enforcement of Liens and Judgments, Enforcement of Liens and Judgments in Virginia, 1985 & 1989 editions
- Proceeds in Bankruptcy: United Virginia Bank v. Slab Fork Coal Company, 89 W.V.L. Rev. 783 (1987)
- Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases, Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association, September, 2015
- Risky Times for Secured Lenders and Servicers, American Bankruptcy Institute and the Turnaround Management Association, November, 2013
- Recent Developments in Bankruptcy, Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, September, 2013
- The Current Deluge: Tenant and Landlord Bankruptcies, ABA Real Estate Section Spring Meeting, April, 2009
- Ethics: Disclosure and Disinterestedness, American Bankruptcy Institute, October, 2007
- Representing Lenders in Commercial Real Estate Bankruptcies, RMA Triad Chapter Meeting, April, 2006
- Bankruptcy Law Considerations for Lawyers Representing Technology and Other Emerging Companies, DC Bar, Corporation, Finance and Securities Law Section, May, 2001
- Limited Liability Companies in Bankruptcy, ABA Business Section Spring Meeting, March, 2001
- Debtor-in-Possession Financing, Walter T. Chandler American Inn of Court, March, 2001
- Recent Developments in Bankruptcy Law, Virginia Bar Association Spring Meeting, April, 2000
- Protecting The Lender: Lock Boxes and Bankruptcy Remote Entities, ABA Real Estate Section Spring Meeting, May, 1999
- The Impact of Bankruptcy on Third Party Credit Enhancement, American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Probate & Trust Law, Spring Meeting, 1997
- Operation of a Chapter 11 Debtor - Cash Collateral, Financing, Executory Contracts and Avoiding Powers, D.C. Bar Association, 1997
- Partnership Bankruptcy Issues, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges Annual Meeting, 1996
- Member, Advisory Board of the American Bankruptcy Institute's Views from the Bench Seminar, 2001 - present.
- Chair, Subcommittee on Partnership and Limited Liability Entities in Bankruptcy, Business Section, American Bar Association, 1998-2002.
- Chair, Board of Governors, Bankruptcy Section, Virginia State Bar, 1998-1999.
- Executive Committee Member, Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, Washington, D.C., 2002-2004.
- Member, Bankruptcy Task Force of the D.C. Circuit Judicial Conference on Pro Bono Legal Services, 2006 - present
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2007 – Present
- Received the 2014 Best Lawyers™ Bankruptcy Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" award in Washington, D.C.
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2009 - 2018
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented numerous banks and other lenders with claims secured by commercial real property throughout the United States in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 proceedings.
- Represented a telecommunications provider in acquiring fiber from Chapter 11 debtors and Chapter 7 trustees in bankruptcy cases filed in Virginia, Delaware and Pennsylvania.
- Represented a top US bank in a number of commercial loan workouts, including the workout of a loan made to a large Washington, DC, real estate developer which was secured by a condominium project.
- Represented one of the largest electric utility businesses in the US in a $500 million fraudulent conveyance lawsuit brought against it by a former subsidiary.
- Represented the Greater Southeast Healthcare System Defined Contribution Pension Plan to enforce claims for unpaid contributions against Greater Southeast Hospital in Washington, DC.