Jack is an innovation lawyer. He combines creative legal insight with bulldog tenacity to ensure that our intellectual property laws properly fuel the genius of discovery and production of new and useful innovations. By combining global intellectual property laws with committed efforts to understand a client’s business, Jack crafts legal strategies that integrate client needs with the requirement for business success.
Jack’s clients represent a diverse group of manufacturing and services providers, including especially the furniture, outdoor recreation, apparel, nanotechnology and aerospace industry sectors. Jack helps lead the firm’s Manufacturing Industry Sector.
Jack brings a client’s perspective in particular to patent matters. Prior to becoming an attorney, Jack was a design engineer on airborne radar and optics applications of a major aerospace company.
A global practitioner, Jack represents clients based outside the US, including Europe and Asia. He has worked on projects at the European Patent Office in Germany and the European Union Designs Department in Spain. At both institutions, he contributed eLearning materials intended to help US companies pursue targeted and cost-effective intellectual property protection throughout Europe. As an Adjunct Law Professor, Jack frequently leads Law and MBA student trips throughout Asia and Europe.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Crafted combination of patent, trade dress, copyright and trademark protection to surgically cover signature elements of major (110-piece) furniture collection by an international designer. Manages global patent and trademark portfolio for a leading kayak and paddleboard manufacturer.
- Successfully enforced color and product configuration trademarks for a bedroom furniture client in Federal Court litigation.
- Facilitated multiple Design Thinking innovation sessions in the US, UK and Netherlands focusing upon steps of empathize, define, ideate, prototype and test innovations.
- Attends and speaks at multiple industry trade shows each year to expand knowledge of client industries.
- Prepared and filed multiple US and international patent applications for a leading aerospace manufacturer on use of carbon nanotubes in complex composite structures.