For more than 20 years, Chris has steered her clients through practically every type of product liability and mass tort litigation. Her work has earned her the respect of industry leaders, including a Fortune Global 100 consumer products manufacturer who requested her secondment for nearly two years to assist in the management of nationwide litigation. Chris has a deep understanding of several consumer product industries, with particular emphasis on federally regulated industries such as tobacco, pharmaceutical, medical devices, automotive, and specialty chemicals. She possesses significant insight into specific products including the business of designing, manufacturing and marketing them. This insider-level of understanding has also made Chris a well-respected partner among in-house scientists and outside experts in a variety of highly technical disciplines, including epidemiologists and toxicologists.
Pairing her in-depth product knowledge with her experience in all phases of civil trial and appellate practice, Chris has tried jury and nonjury cases to verdict and has argued appeals. She has deep experience in class action defense, multidistrict litigation (MDL), and other coordinated proceedings. Chris has led dozens of mediations, and utilizes early case assessment techniques to both evaluate matters and devise strategies for summary resolution.
Speaker, National Business Institute Seminar, Personal Injury Trials: Getting The Most Out Of Your Evidence, (2007)
Civic and Professional Activities
- Graduate of Leadership Winston-Salem
- Rotary Club International, Stratford Club Fellowship Chairperson (2001, 2007-2008)
- American Heart Association, Firm Chairperson for the American Heart Walk (2003)
- Board of Directors, Mental Health Association of Forsyth County (1998-2003)
- Board of Trustees, Historic Bethabara Park (2007-2013; Chair, 2009)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Medico-Legal Liaison Committee (Chair, 2008-2010)
- Forsyth County and 21st Judicial District Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Lawyers
- Lex Mundi Institute Alumnus
- Member, Piedmont Triad Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- National Center for State Courts
- Lawyers Committee Member
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2013 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defends R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. in numerous personal injury/wrongful death cases across the country, with a current focus on the development and presentation of complex medical and scientific issues and witnesses; helps trial teams formulate medical defense strategies and challenge admissibility of expert witness opinion testimony at depositions, Daubert hearings, and trial.
- Advises corporate law departments on ‘dollars-and-cents’ issues in litigation in order to help formulate methods and techniques that promote greater fee control, litigation management efficiency, and budget predictability.
- Assessed litigation risk and crafted defense strategies for a 950-bed tertiary care medical center, provided medical, scientific and legal defense strategies to defend allegations of multisystem injuries associated with alleged surgical-equipment contamination. · Evaluated cardiac claims and provided potential alternative causation defenses for a Fortune Global 500 reinsurer in dietary supplement litigation.
- Served as a national science team member in auto manufacturer’s asbestos litigation defense, briefing the client’s trial lawyers on scientific issues, cross-examining scientific witnesses, and preparing scientific experts for depositions and trials.
- Defended pharmaceutical manufacturer in diet drug litigation as regional counsel, with responsibility for developing scientific defenses, preparing medical expert witnesses for cases nationally, and cross-examining plaintiffs’ experts and medical witnesses at depositions.