Will Dawson is a transactional lawyer who provides results-oriented, value-driven legal services to clients. Will looks to the client’s business motives and then applies creative legal insight to identify strategies and solutions to close the transaction.
Will’s transactional practice includes representing lenders and borrowers in banking and finance matters, creditors’ rights, loan workouts, forbearance and foreclosure, real estate finance and development, and commercial leasing. In addition to his transactional work, Will handles real and personal property tax matters to reduce his clients’ operating expenses and regularly represents property owners in real and personal property tax appeals throughout South Carolina involving manufacturing, hospitality, retail and office properties.
- Co-author, Smart Hotel Owners Turn Eroding Property Values Into Tax Advantages, National Real Estate Investor, September 2010
- Co-author, Applying the Discount Rate in Commercial Litigation, ALI-ABA publication The Practical Litigator, Volume 19, No. 4 (July 2008)
- Case Study: Highway U.S. 70 and the Hondo Valley - Safety and Cost Versus History 13 SE ENVTL. L.J. 97 (2004)
- Morris A. Ellison and William T. Dawson, South Carolina Property Tax Update, American Property Tax Counsel National Property Tax Update, September 2009
Civic and Professional Activities
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Deacon – First (Scots) Presbyterian Church
- Board of Directors, First (Scots) Presbyterian Church Kindergarten, 2012 – 2015
- Board of Directors, Life Management Center, 2008 – 2017
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Real Estate Law, 2021
- Named to Charleston Business Magazine's Legal Elite, Banking and Finance, Business Organizations, Commercial Real Estate, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Residential Real Estate, 2017 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represents lenders in multi million-dollar, multifamily and hotel construction loan transactions.
- Represents lenders in traditional commercial real estate loan transactions including financing relating to office and retail acquisitions.
- Represents purchasers in acquisition of multifamily, office and retail properties including serving as lead counsel in $50 million multifamily acquisition.
- Represents borrowers in traditional, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Ginnie Mae loan transactions.
- Represents hospitality, office, retail and manufacturing property owners in property tax appeals.