Clients value Bill Womble, Jr.’s active collaboration with them. Faced with threatening regulatory actions and high-stakes litigation disrupting their businesses and future plans, Bill’s clients always know he quickly grasps the intricacies of their problems and understands what’s required to win. Nothing about Bill’s work is fungible. He strategically unites the most effective client-based personnel with select Womble Bond Dickinson lawyers, staff, and outside resources to drive success for the client in a rapidly changing regulatory and litigation climate. Drawing from his tenacity, four decades of experience and knowledge, Bill is known to defuse emotionally charged situations. He infuses an element of steadiness-in-the-saddle to facilitate intelligent problem-solving and sharp focus on winning strategies to put his clients’ interests first and enable smooth negotiation whenever feasible. Bill’s experience facilitates effective risk prevention and management, maximizing the strengths of individuals and businesses.
Bill’s representation of clients in complex product liability, professional liability, insurance, ERISA, and business litigation included professionals, U.S. and international manufacturers, importers, and distributors. He was a leader in forming the national Propane Gas Defense Association among lawyers throughout the U.S. resulting from his work with liquid propane gas providers and a supply system parts manufacturer. Bill led the firm’s U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) regulatory group. As a member of the national Product Liability Advisory Council, Bill co-authored amicus appellate briefs on critical legal issues to the Supreme Court of the United States and the North Carolina Supreme Court. His courtroom skills earned him membership as a Fellow in the selective American College of Trial Lawyers and as an Advocate in the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Permanent Member, U.S. Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates (Southeast Area Board of Directors, 2006 – 2008)
- Member, Products Liability Advisory Council (Board of Directors, 2002 – 2005)
- Propane Gas Defense Association (Charter Member, past Vice President)
- North Carolina Bar Association: Member, Professional Vitality Committee (2019 – 2022), Vice President (2011 – 2013), Judicial Independence Committee (2002 – 2018), Bench-Bar Liaison Committee (1997- 2011), Professionalism Committee (2004-2010), Member of Task Force on Legal Services (1996), Chair, Practical Training (1982-1983)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (Charter Member), President (1987-1988)
- American Bar Association; and Forsyth County N. C. Bar Association
- Duke University School of Law Board of Visitors (permanent member)
Honors and Awards
- The Order of the Long Leaf Pine (2016) – the highest award for service to North Carolina given by the Office of the Governor
- The Advocates Award of the Litigation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association (2016)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (1993 – 2019)
- N.C. Super Lawyers Honoree (2006 – 2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV
- United States Navy, Lieutenant, 1967-71 (USS Keppler DD-765 and Mine Flotilla One, WESTPAC), awarded the US Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal and Vietnam Service Medal with two bronze stars.