Steve Clinton focuses his practice on international business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, securities law and venture capital. He has represented corporate clients (both private and public), venture capital funds, angels and accelerators for more than 20 years. Steve’s transaction repertoire includes mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring, board of director duties, negotiated resolution of business disputes in addition to many other corporate matters.
Typical clients are emerging and middle-market companies from all over the world. He serves as outside US general counsel to many of his domestic and foreign based clients. Steve also cultivates and maintains extensive connections with leading law firms and legal practitioners in countries around the world to efficiently serve the cross-border business law needs of US domestic clients.
In addition to his long experience in practicing corporate law, Steve has served on the boards of directors of private companies and worked in the business world. This combination of legal and business experience has given him an understanding of corporate operational needs that allows him to help clients make informed business decisions.
Steve serves as a member of the Firm’s Innovation Board, Pro Bono Committee and Global Business Group. He is also a mentor to student athletes at Santa Clara University, guest lecturer at universities and a mentor to law students.
Judge, Startup Battle Korea in South Korea, September 2014
Panelist, Business in Silicon Valley in South Korea, September 2014
Speaker, Startup Presentation, July 2014
Speaker, Venture Capital Documents, April 2014
Speaker, Exit Planning: What Every CEO, Business Owner and Board Advisor Needs to Know, September 2013
Panelist, MIT/Stanford VLAB Pitch Fest, Open Forum Silicon Valley, June 2013
- Association for Corporate Growth, Silicon Valley
- Churchill Club
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Pro Bono Legal Assistance for Legal Advocacy For Children and Youth (LACY), Redford Center and other organizations
- Mentor, Santa Clara University Entrepreneurs Law Program
- Mentor, Santa Clara University Athletic Program
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a foreign private equity fund in connection with the purchase of a smart grid technology company.
- Represented an agricultural technology company in the sale of the company to a Japanese public company.
- Represented a media company in connection with the purchase of another media company.
- Represented a China-based semiconductor company in connection with the sale of its Series B Preferred shares.
- Represented a Circuit Board Manufacturing Company in the sale of the company to a private equity group.