Stephen joined Womble Bond Dickinson in January 2019 after having spent twelve years working in-house, formerly with NATS and then with BAE Systems. Stephen was previously Senior Counsel to the Maritime Services division of BAE Systems. Prior to his in-house career, Stephen spent six years working with a major private practice law firm.
During his career Stephen has worked on a very wide range of commercial bids and agreements including:
- Bids for government contracts (in relation to both UK and overseas customers)
- Teaming and collaboration agreements
- Procurement framework agreements
- Outsourcing arrangements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Software/intellectual property licences
- University research / studentship agreements.
Stephen was previously Deputy Chair of the Board of Trustees of Portsmouth Mediation Service, Registered Charity 1061569, which works in the field of restorative justice and assists in the resolution of conflict through mediation.
- Advised Brittany Ferries on the amendment and termination of their Brexit-related freight capacity purchase agreements with the Department for Transport
- Advised Army Museums Ogilby Trust on their agreements for the digitisation and preservation of archive material
- Advised Engage Technical Solutions Limited on the development of a suite of terms and conditions for procurement
Prior to working for Womble Bond Dickinson, Stephen was:
- Lead counsel for the Maritime Support Delivery Framework Contract concerning the support of HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, and the Portsmouth Flotilla
- Lead counsel for the Type 45 Power Improvement Project
- Lead counsel for the “Intelligent Bridging” contract for the in-service support of the Royal Navy’s Type 45 Destroyers.
"Excellent technically with a strong specialism in defence."
"Womble Bond Dickinson, and particularly Stephen, have supported Engage Technical Solutions in the development of a full suite of ‘Supplier Ts & Cs’. This has been a lengthy process that would not have been possible without Stephen's expertise in our particularly tricky industry. Stephen has provided excellent support in his speciality area, but has been more than happy to go and find the information or expert that we needed for any other legal issues arising. WBD has provided an excellent service and everyone conducts themselves in a professional yet friendly manner. I would not hesitate in recommending them."