Sean is an experienced trial attorney, having tried more than 50 jury trials and 500 bench trials as lead counsel in both state and federal courts. Sean has also successfully argued appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, North Carolina Supreme Court, and the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Prior to coming to Womble, Sean was an assistant district attorney for the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted violent crimes.
Throughout his legal career, Sean has successfully handled a wide range of business litigation matters for both private and public entities, as well as their officials, in matters ranging from constitutional law, employment litigation, contract disputes, franchise disputes, personal injury, wrongful death, and qui-tam litigation. Sean also routinely advises governmental entities and private individuals in criminal and administrative investigations in state and federal court.
Sean also has an extensive pro bono practice and has received several awards for his probono efforts, including the Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year from Legal Aid of North Carolina, and Young Lawyer Pro Bono Award from the North Carolina Bar Association. Sean also serves on the boards of directors of several Charlotte community organizations.
- Presenter, Issues Surrounding Social Media and Law Enforcement, North Carolina Association of Police Attorneys Spring Conference, 2017
- Presenter, Update on K9 Litigation, United Police Work Dog Association and Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, 2015, 2017
- Presenter, Contempt of Cop and Resulting First Amendment Issues, North Carolina Association of Police Attorneys Spring Conference, 2015
- Presenter, Western North Carolina Sheriff’s Meeting, May 2015
- Presenter, Liability: A Refresher and Stories From The Field, North Carolina Department of Social Services Winter Conference, 2014
- Presenter, Legal Cases Affecting Law Enforcement, North Carolina Association of Police Attorneys Spring Conference, 2011, 2013
- Presenter, Defense of Police Misconduct Cases, National Business Institute, 2010
Civic and Professional Activities
- South North Carolina Bar Association, Public Service Advisory Committee
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Co-Chairman, Volunteer Lawyer’s Program
- Board of Directors, Pat’s Place Child Advocacy Center
- Board of Directors, Dilworth Youth Athletic Association
- Volunteer coach Dilworth Little League, Charlotte Junior Soccer, Metrolina Ministries Basketball
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Civil Rights Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2015 – Present
- Recipient, 2008 Business Leader Media, Pro Bono Impact Award
- Recipient, 2007 North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyer Division, Pro Bono Award, for Most Outstanding Pro Bono Service for attorneys under 40 in North Carolina
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented Mecklenburg County in landmark First Amendment political affiliation case from trial to the North Carolina Supreme Court, and obtained dismissals of all lawsuits in the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- Represented private secondary educational institution in sex abuse litigation, and obtained dismissal in the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Trial counsel for Mitchell County Department of Social Services in employment retaliation lawsuit and obtained complete defense verdict.
- Trial counsel for Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office in 42 U.S.C. 1983 lawsuit alleging false arrest, excessive force, and obtained complete defense verdict.
- Represented several national retailers in franchise disputes and racial profiling litigation.