Scott Mayer is an accomplished 30-plus-year national commercial real estate attorney and executive who has worked in both the private and public sectors. A licensed real estate broker, his practice focuses on complex transactions and litigation involving real property acquisitions, dispositions, commercial lease negotiations, land development, secured real property loan transactions, public/private partnerships, and broker, landlord, and tenant matters. His unique background and experience as an attorney and counselor, real estate developer and principal, and C-suite executive enable him to evaluate client matters from both the legal and business perspective, making him an extraordinarily valuable teammate for his clients.
Prior to returning to his law practice, Scott was the Chief Operating Officer of a privately-held family office in Beverly Hills, with approximately $1 billion in commercial real estate assets under management. He was responsible for the company's real estate portfolio, including acquisitions and dispositions, lease negotiations, development, joint venture projects, and asset management.
Scott was formerly the Chief Real Estate Officer for Orange County, California. During his five-year tenure, he managed a 35-person team and outside consultants, brokers, and attorneys responsible for overseeing the County's vast real estate holdings, including approximately 12 million square feet of improved and undeveloped properties. He was tasked by the Board of Supervisors with leveraging previously under-utilized County real estate assets to generate new uses and greater revenue streams, including the formation of innovative public/private partnerships for the revitalization of Dana Point Harbor, the Santa Ana Civic Center Master Plan, and multiple mixed-used development projects encompassing over 1,900 acres of County property.
Before assuming his government position, Scott was the President and General Counsel of a national real estate development firm with multiple offices and projects in 19 states with values over $500 million. He led the firm's acquisition, leasing, financing, and development activities and managed its legal and corporate affairs for over 15 years.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Managed the acquisition and sale of more than 125 commercial properties with values in excess of $750 million in over 20 states, including the negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, due diligence, finance, and closings.
- Executed the repositioning and rehabilitation of over 20 retail projects totaling 753,000 square feet with values exceeding $89 million.
- Managed the ground-up development of over 70 retail projects, including as a preferred developer for CVS Pharmacy, Eckerd Drugs, Food Lion, and Just For Feet, totaling 1.6 million square feet with values exceeding $453 million.
- Negotiated and closed over $275 million of secured financing.
- Negotiated over 225 commercial leases, including ground, net, office, public/private partnership, and build-to-suit leases.
- Managed multiple public/private development projects involving Illinois and Wisconsin and on behalf of Orange County on over 1,900 acres and 5.5 million projected improved square feet and estimated to cumulatively generate over $4.5 billion in long-term revenue for the County.
- Handled multiple mediations, arbitrations, court trials, and jury trials.
- Appeared before numerous public agency boards concerning project approvals.
- Represented multiple residential real estate brokerages, including hotlines.
- State Bar of California, Real Property Law Section, Former Executive Committee Member