As a federal prosecutor, Russ tried 26 cases to verdict. Since then, he has tried many more. Russ brings this courtroom experience to serve clients in criminal and civil litigation. Russ represents clients in a broad range of complex litigation matters, focusing both on white collar criminal defense and complex business litigation. His current cases involve:
• Financial transaction issues
• Merger disputes
• Federal investigations
• Asset-forfeiture matters
• Criminal fraud claims
• Breach of contract allegations
• Government enforcement actions
• Antitrust lawsuits
His practice includes representing clients at all stages of federal and state litigation, including on appeal.
Russ also practices in international arbitration, representing clients around the world in arbitration before a number of arbitral bodies, including the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC). Most recently, Russ participated in a SIAC arbitration that resulted in a favorable final award after a merits hearing in Paris.
Presentations and Publications
- Federal Horse Play in North Carolina, Wall Street Journal, March 30, 2015
- A Facebook Marriage, American Spectator, May 22, 2012
- No Room for Waste, Fraud in Anti-Human Trafficking Efforts, Washington Examiner, September 15, 2011
- Blagojevich and Scalia, American Spectator, August 18, 2010
- Sweet Carolina, American Spectator, May 6, 2008
- Pew 54, Where are you?” American Spectator, January 23, 2008
- Speaker, Federal Bar Association CLE, eDiscovery in the Western District of North Carolina, May 2012
Civic and Professional Activities
- Member, Executive Committee, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2017 - Present
- Member, Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2015 – Present
- Member, Audit Committee, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2015 - Present
- Vice Chair, 2017 - Present
- Member, Finance Committee, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2012 – 2015
- Member, Strategic Planning and Emerging Trends Committee, North Carolina Bar Association, 2011- 2017
- Member, Technology Committee, North Carolina Bar Association, 2014 - 2016
- Member, Membership Committee, North Carolina Bar Association, 2012
- Appointed by the Charlotte City Council as a member of Keep Charlotte Beautiful, 2012- Present
- Member, Board of Directors, Friendship Trays 2016 - Present
- Member, Supervisory (Audit) Committee, United States Senate Federal Credit Union, 2011- 2014
- Member, Board of Directors, North Carolina Governor’s School Alumni Association, 2007-2008
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Commercial Litigation, 2018 – Present
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Business Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2015 – Present
- Recognized in Business North Carolina magazine's Legal Elite, 2016
- Outstanding Individual Attorney, Mecklenburg County Bar Pro Bono Award, 2014
- Bar Leadership Institute, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2014
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer in defense of a class action in federal court.
- Represented a hospital system in defending a class action in the North Carolina Business Court and a related federal enforcement action in federal court.
- Represented the seller of a food distributorship in a post-merger dispute arbitration.
- Represented a food manufacturer in a dispute with a group purchasing organization in federal court.
- Represented an Asian country in an international arbitration.