Rodney Miller is a registered patent attorney with more than a decade of experience and concentrates his practice on intellectual property matters, including due diligence, licensing and transactional work, patent office post-grant review, and litigation. He has represented both public and private companies in patent, trademark and trade secret disputes, as well as counseling clients in obtaining, protecting, licensing, and enforcing intellectual property. He has litigated intellectual property cases across numerous industries, including telecommunication, semiconductors, Internet protocols, operating systems, hardware and software storage systems, user interface, and pharmaceuticals.
Rodney also assists clients with transactional matters related to the development, acquisition, licensing, and monetization of intellectual property and intellectual property portfolio valuation. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in federal courts throughout the United States, including courts in Texas, Delaware, New Jersey, Florida, Illinois, Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, California, and Wisconsin. He has also appeared before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the United States International Trade Commission.
He previously served as a controls and energy solutions sales engineer for an American multinational home appliances corporation, which gives him valuable insights into the needs of corporate clients.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented KinectUs LLC, the developer of a real-time, location based social mobile application, in a patent infringement case involving seven patents against Bumble before Judge Albright in the Western District of Texas. The case settled favorably.
- Represented G. Holdings Ltd. against Samsung in a patent infringement action involving patents on data conveyance switching in a mobile device before Judge Gilstrap in the Eastern District of Texas. The case settled favorably.
- Represented Google in securing a dismissal in a six-patent infringement case brought by Data Engine Technologies in the District of Delaware.
- Represented Mallinckrodt in a series of Hatch-Waxman cases against a number of generic pharmaceutical companies involving their inventions of opioids with extremely low levels of impurities.
- Represented LG in seven-patent infringement case involving USB chargers in the Eastern District of Texas. Plaintiff Fundamental Innovation Systems licensed the patents-in-suit from Blackberry, and asserts infringement against several high-profile companies, including Huawei and ZTE.
- Represented MV3 Partners in defeating Roku’s motion to transfer venue in the Western District of Texas. Argued for and secured a favorable claim construction ruling on behalf MV3 Partners against Apple.
- Represented Fintiv in defeating Apple’s motion to transfer venue in the Western District of Texas. Argued for and secured a favorable claim construction ruling on behalf Fintiv against Apple.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (BL Rankings), Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2021 - Present
- Selected to the Georgia Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), Intellectual Property Litigation, 2017 – 2019
- Speaker, “Code-Switching: Shifting the Way We Communicate and Present Ourselves in the Workplace,” Driving Diversity in Law and Leadership Summit (Atlanta), Sept. 13, 2023