Rachel is an Associate specialising in employment law and part of the Senior Management Team overseeing the Legal Solutions Centre (LSC) paralegal resource based in Plymouth.
Rachel is experienced in dealing with dispute resolution work for a wide range of clients. She regularly undertakes policy compliance work, reviewing terms and conditions of employment and also advises on issues arising from business reorganisations. She drafts and negotiates Settlement Agreements and handles the full range of Employment Tribunal litigation. Rachel has advised in some high profile discrimination cases including acting for the successful employer in a case regarding staff manifesting their faith at work. Rachel regularly presents seminars and workshops to clients on employment law matters and she also has a specialism advising on business immigration issues.
Having trained with the firm and qualified into the Employment team, Rachel made the transition to be one of the technical specialists embedded within the LSC paralegal team. Since 2011, our LSC paralegal team has been providing an essential service to the business helping teams deliver the most cost effective solutions to their clients. The team has grown and developed to over 60 paralegals, chartered legal executives, and management information specialists capable of providing support to teams and direct to clients on an ongoing basis, for discrete projects or volume litigation. Rachel has extended the LSC offering to also include an Employment Service using technology solutions to deal with low risk Employment Tribunal claims, data subject access requests, volume settlement agreements and also support the wider employment team on larger projects.
Examples of experience include:
- Advising on TUPE-transfers, both in the public and private sectors, including for NHS Trusts and Countrywide Farmers
- Providing strategic support to organisations undertaking restructuring and redundancy exercises including ST Microelectronics
- Advising a University; providing regular HR support and advising on various employment issues including grievance and disciplinary hearings, redundancy and redeployment, TUPE and changing terms and conditions of employment
- Being instructed by a range of regional and national clients on employment tribunal litigation, including successfully dealing with claims against a Multi Academy Trust and also a complex discrimination claim for an existing employee supported by a Trade Union on behalf of an insured client
- Drafting service and settlement agreements and advising on the contents of such agreements for companies, directors and employees; including large scale Settlements Agreement exercises on behalf of Toshiba, Post Office and NHS Trusts
- Negotiating settlement agreements on behalf of Piper Private Equity
- Working with a National Public Sector Organisation involved in a culture change programme, providing inclusive leadership training
- Advising a Public Sector organisation on "horizon scanner" documents to identify potential future risk areas
- Working on equality and diversity issues including gender balance in the workforce and advising on the public sector equality duty for Public Sector clients
- Supervising and supporting service delivery for Employment Tribunal litigation on behalf of TSB, Sainsbury's and B&Q
- Implementing a helpline on behalf of AIG providing employment advice to its 18,000 policyholders. Managing the paralegals who deal with the initial contact and reporting requirements and supporting employment lawyers with questions of policy and allocating / supervising resource to deal with any resulting Employment Tribunal claims
- Whilst on secondment at AIG instructing external counsel and manging a caseload of 450+ Employment Tribunal claims.