Since early 2017, Michelle has been a Managing Associate with a key Knowledge Management role in the firm, specialising in construction law.
Prior to that she was a senior solicitor in the firm with 13 years' experience of advising commercial clients on an extensive range of construction, engineering and energy matters.
In her current role, she:
- ensures that the Construction and Engineering team is kept fully up-to-date with all relevant legislation, case law, industry developments and trends
- has developed and maintains a large suite of high quality precedents
- writes, delivers, and arranges training for her team and clients
- supports team members and fosters their development
- produces articles and publications – authoring articles on a wide variety of topics
- creates and maintains content for her team's webpages such as our construction and engineering interactive timeline
- organises events
- promotes the team, particularly through social media
- assists with technical queries and challenging research
- is actively involved in the firm's client development initiatives
- is part of a number of groups within the firm which promote the use of technology to improve efficiencies
- builds good relationships and works closely with other key teams in the firm.
Before moving into the role of Managing Associate Practice Development Lawyer, Michelle gave clients practical and commercial legal advice and guidance on a wide range of projects, including in relation to:
- Energy – e.g. (on and offshore) wind farms, solar energy projects, wave and tidal projects, and biomass/waste to energy projects
- Engineering infrastructure, bridge, road and rail projects
- Developments – e.g. commercial new builds and refurbishments and town centre redevelopments
and she drafted and negotiated all kinds of construction and engineering contracts – from bespoke contracts to those based on published standard forms of contract (e.g. JCT, FIDIC, MF/1, ICE, LOGIC, NEC, ACE, GC/Works, Beama and RIBA) – as well as all associated ancillary/related contracts (e.g. consultants' appointments, collateral warranties, bonds, novations, letters of intent, agreements for lease, and development agreements). Her client base included developers, local authorities and public bodies, landlords and tenants, funders, contractors and consultants – including key clients of the firm.
In her spare time, Michelle puts her analytical and organisational skills to good use as a School Governor.