Mike is an experienced life sciences patent litigation and IP strategy attorney, who guides pharmaceutical and biotech companies in IP disputes in which complex scientific issues are at stake. He has represented clients in U.S. district courts, before the International Trade Commission, and in appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and has handled inter partes proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He has particular experience in Hatch-Waxman Act (ANDA) as well as the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act (BPCIA).
In addition, Mike has nearly 20 years of experience counseling life sciences companies in patent strategy, including portfolio management, monetization, licensing and patent prosecution. He has worked with clients in a number of life sciences fields and technologies, including antibodies, vaccines, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, nutrition and medical devices.
Professional and Civic Activities
- District of Columbia Bar, former Board Member, IP Section, Chair of the Trade Secret Committee
- After-School All Stars, Board Member
- Potomac Valley Swimming, Board Member and Chair of Safe Sport Committee
Honors and Awards
Super Lawyers Honoree, Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2020
- Vaccine Developers Must Put Cure Before Patent Profits, Law360, November 13, 2020
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advised Novartis Vaccines & Diagnostics in license negotiations and patent enforcement actions
- Represented Amgen in patent infringement and validity action relating to PCSK9 inhibitors
- Represented Unified Patents in Inter Partes Review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeals Board
- Represented Kemin Industries in a patent infringement dispute relating to ocular antioxidants at the International Trade Commission
- Represented Boston Scientific in litigations relating to implantable cardioverter defibrillators and pacemakers, including an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; opposed a petition for a writ of certiorari before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Advised Philips Corp. in a license deal valued at $100 million relating to surgical instruments
- Represented Guidant Corp. and Advanced Cardiovascular Systems in several litigations involving coronary stents, including a jury trial; received a favorable jury verdict of infringement for Guidant
- Represented Wyeth in Hatch-Waxman litigation in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware, granted favorable settlement terms for Wyeth
- Authored appellate briefs and twice presented oral argument before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.