Matthew has extensive experience serving as primary counsel for numerous public and private companies, guiding them through all aspects of complex Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 proceedings, assignments for the benefit of creditors, or reorganizations out of court. Matthew also regularly has represented official committees of unsecured creditors as lead counsel. In addition, his experience includes work for numerous private companies, money management firms, and private equity funds as bidders/purchasers in bankruptcy proceedings, acquisitions of distressed assets and change of control transactions. Finally, Matthew has represented numerous public and private companies, hedge funds, and governmental entities as creditors or other stakeholders in litigation.
Matthew is one of only seven attorneys in the State of Delaware certified by the American Board of Certification as a Business Bankruptcy Specialist, and has consistently been listed in Chambers USA for bankruptcy matters. Matthew has been selected on several occasions to give presentations on a variety of topics of bankruptcy law. Additionally, the Delaware State Bar Association chose him as the statewide winner of the DSBA Community Service Award, based on his demonstrated commitment to leadership and service in activities that enrich and strengthen the community over a substantial period of time. The National Diversity Council also presented Matthew with the Leadership Excellence in the Law award based on his dedication to racial integration and providing opportunities to racial minorities.
A Restatement or a Redefinition: Elimination of Inherent Agency in the Tentative Draft of the Restatement (Third) of Agency, 59 WASH. & LEE L. REV. 1585 (2002)
Guardian Ad Litem, Office of the Child Advocate
Ranked in Chambers USA
The Best Lawyers in America
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Primary counsel for Scout Media, Inc. and its affiliates in their chapter 11 proceedings (New York).
- Primary counsel for Brevity Ventures Inc. in its chapter 11 proceeding (Delaware)
- Primary counsel for Carroll Services, LLC as plan administrator of J.A. Jones, Inc. (North Carolina).
- Primary counsel for Defense Venture Group as assignor for the benefit of creditors (Delaware).
- Primary counsel for Sherwood Partners, Inc. as assignee for the benefit of creditors of Family Christian Stores (Delaware).
- Other debtor representations have included Advanced Pipeline Services, LLC, Broadkill Realty, LLC, Goody’s Family Clothing, Inc., Lake Dearborn, LLC, McLeodUSA Inc., Plastech Engineered Products, Inc., Radnor Holdings Corp., Triad Guaranty Inc., and Ultimate Electronics, Inc.