Matt is a member of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He has years of experience in products liability, real estate, construction and general business litigation. He has over ten years of experience handling tire defect litigation for major multinational tire manufacturers. He has handled trials in each area in South Carolina state and federal courts and was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016 in the field of Product Liability Litigation – Defendants.
Matt takes a practical and efficient approach to defending businesses. He understands that there are typically many ways a business can achieve its goal in handling a dispute. At the outset of any matter, Matt works with the client to assess the particular legal and business problems a matter may pose, define the potential risks and rewards of each contemplated action and then works with the client to achieve its desired goal in the most efficient manner possible. Matt has represented tire manufacturers, other product manufacturers (including manufacturers of automobiles, tractor-trailers, heavy duty building equipment, building products, agricultural products, tobacco products and wood products), title insurers, developers, lenders, loan servicers, suppliers, general contractors, subcontractors, commercial lessors and marketing organizations. These matters have ranged from simple disputes in small claims court to complex multi-million dollar construction and products liability claims. In each case, Matt has placed the desired goals of his client first and has used his early assessment and goal-driven system to provide the type of efficient service demanded by his clients.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Chairman, Charleston County Disabilities Board Human Rights Committee
- Lay Leader, The Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2015 – Present
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Product Liability Litigation – Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" award in Charleston, South Carolina, 2021
- Recognized in Charleston Business Magazine's Legal Elite, Business Litigation, 2019 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Bloody Point Prop. Owners Ass'n v. Ashton, 410 S.C. 62, 762 S.E.2d 729 (Ct. App. 2014).