As the leader of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Pharma-Biotech-Life Sciences Sector, Mary has more than 30 years of experience representing various clients in patent litigation at both the district court and appellate levels.
Mary has been lead or co-lead litigation counsel for various pharmaceutical companies and has litigated patents that cover new chemical entities, polymorphs, formulations, methods of treatment, dosing regimes, and other pharmaceutical and life sciences patents. She has been lead counsel on multiple ANDA and biologics cases and understands the importance of coordinating ANDA litigation with parallel FDA actions.
Mary also has been lead and/or oversight counsel for various clients in post-grant proceedings, including inter partes reviews.
Although many of Mary’s clients are in the biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and life sciences sectors, she has also represented clients in other areas in both state and federal court, Mary’s knowledge of Delaware practice is deep and she has served as trusted Delaware counsel for out of state clients in the District of Delaware, including in non-practicing entity and trade secrets litigation. For example, Mary is one of only sixteen (16) Delaware attorneys asked to serve on the current District of Delaware’s Advisory Committee.
- Chambers USA - Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Asset Management Magazine's IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Practitioners (2016)
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Lead counsel for Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Ferring International Center S.A., an international pharmaceutical company, in multiple ANDA litigations regarding Ferring’s Prepopik® drug product. In June 2017, the Court issued an opinion that the first filer’s proposed ANDA product infringed all asserted claims of the patents in suit.
- Co-lead counsel in litigation for Ferring involving inventorship rights in patents related to desmopressin.
- Lead trial counsel for a large brand pharmaceutical company in multiple ANDA litigations regarding composition and method of use patents covering a drug used to treat ulcerative colitis.