Mary is a partner in the Business Litigation Group in the firm’s Winston-Salem office. With over 20 years of experience in federal and state court, she focuses her practice in the areas of complex civil litigation and employment litigation. As a trained mediator, she has a deep appreciation of the potential benefits of alternative dispute resolution and is recognized for her proven ability to structure creative solutions to difficult problems.
Her litigation experience runs the gamut from pharmaceutical litigation to shareholder disputes, employee defections, litigation involving non-compete agreements, trade secrets, business valuation and business torts. Mary has also worked in the management and defense of mass tort and product liability litigation for several different industries.
- President, Forsyth County Bar Association and 21st Judicial District (2011-2012), Vice President/President Elect (2010-2011), and Treasurer (2009-2010)
- Member, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
- Member, 21st Judicial District Ethics and Grievance Committee (1999-2002)
- Member, Forsyth County Bar Association (1996-present)
- Board of Specialization, N.C. State Bar (2014-2017)
- Board Member, Piedmont Triad Film Commission (2015-Present)
- Volunteer, River Run Film Festival
- Leadership Winston Salem, Class of 2013
- Board and Executive Committee Member, SCAN/Exchange United Way (1998-2004)
- Assistant Editor, North Carolina Bar Association Family Forum (2003-2004)
- Editor, Family Forum (2004-2005)
- Volunteer, Domestic Violence Advocacy Center (2001-2012)
- Supervising Attorney, Wake Forest Clinical Program, Adjunct (Spring 2000)
- Sustainer, Junior League of Winston-Salem, Inc. (2004-present)
- Volunteer in placements for National Black Theatre Festival
- Crosby Scholars
- Best Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Lead trial counsel representing multiple employers in the defense of discrimination and retaliation claims, with a solid history of multiple wins at the federal district court level affirmed by the Fourth Circuit.
- Lead trial counsel in successfully defending an employer in a whistleblower action on an issue of first impression, affirmed by the NC Court of Appeals.
- Lead trial counsel in multiple cases involving non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
- Lead counsel in shareholder litigation involving a closely held furniture manufacturer.