Kim Stogner has spent more than two decades working closely with clients as trusted counsel on estate planning issues.
As a leader within Womble Bond Dickinson’s Private Wealth Sector, Kim not only brings extensive experience in trusts and estates law, but also a well-rounded business background. Before attending law school, she acted as a personal trust officer for two national banking corporations and earned the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation.
Kim is a member of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Wealth Management Industry team, where her business experience is frequently relied upon to guide investment advisory firms and corporate fiduciaries on matters involving estate and trust administration and disputes.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Trustee, Southern Federal Tax Institute
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Forsyth County and North Carolina Bar Associations
- Past Board of Governors Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Chair and Past Council Member, Fiduciary Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Legislative Committee, Fiduciary Law Section
- Past award recipient and current member, Citizen Lawyer Committee, North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Trustee, Health Benefit Trust of North Carolina Bar Association
- Member and Past Chair, Wake Forest Planned Giving Advisory Council; Member Winston-Salem Estate Planning Council
- Salemtowne Retirement Community, Board of Directors Member and Executive Committee
- Forsyth Technical Community College Foundation, Executive Committee and Board Member
- Hospice Foundation, Board Member
- Winston-Salem Arts Council Endowment Fund, Development Committee and Board Member
- Datamax Corporation and Foundation, Board Member
- Winston-Salem Downtown Rotary Club, Member and Officer
- United Way of Forsyth County Foundation, Founding Board Member and Executive Committee Member
- Crisis Control Ministry, Past Board Chair, Board Development Committee
- United Way of Forsyth County, Past Board Member
- Crosby Scholars Program, Past Board Member
- Children's Museum of Winston-Salem, Founding Board Member
- First Citizens Bank, Local Board of Directors
- Junior League of Winston-Salem, Sustaining Member
- Hope Presbyterian Church, Member
Honors and Awards
- Chambers High Net Worth Ranked Lawyer, Private Wealth Law, North Carolina (2019 - Present)
- Named the Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation: Trusts & Estates - Greensboro/Triad (2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2023) and Trusts & Estates - Greensboro/Triad (2013, 2022)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Trusts & Estates (2007 - Present), Litigation: Trusts & Estates (2011 - Present), and Tax Law (2014 - Present)
- Recognized in Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite, Tax/Estate Planning 2020, 2023
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (Thompson Reuters) (2006-2023)
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advising clients on comprehensive estate planning, wealth preservation and preparation of estate planning documents.
- Implementing sophisticated gift planning transactions and preparing and filing gift tax returns.
- Representing executors and trustees on trust and estate administration, including tax and probate law issues, preparing and filing estate tax returns and defending estate tax audits.
- Resolving trust and estate disputes in the area of fiduciary litigation.
- Strategically executing tax-efficient family business and closely-held entity succession plans in collaboration with a client’s advisers.
- Forming private foundations and public charities.