Karl joined the firm in 2014 as a Costs Draftsman within the Costs team. Prior to joining, Karl graduated from the University of Sunderland with an LLB Law (Hons). Karl is currently studying through the Association of Costs Lawyers (ACL) to qualify as a Costs Lawyer.
Karl has over 5 years costs experience in both contentious and non-contentious work. He provides advice and support to both internal and external clients on all costs issues, including dealing with the assessment of costs and preparation of costs budgets.
Karl works within the Costs team, however also carries out work for a variety of other departments including Commercial Disputes, RIT, Private Wealth and Real Estate.
Karl is accustomed to dealing with complex multi-track matters and negotiating settlements on behalf of clients and regularly deals with costs claims exceeding £100,000.00.
Examples of experience include :
- Providing detailed costs advice to internal and external Clients
- Providing ad hoc advice to colleagues on all costs issues
- Preparing costs budgets (Precedent H)
- Preparing contentious and non-contentious Bills of Costs
- Advising on retainers
- Dealing with both provisional and detailed assessment
- Negotiating settlement of both Claimant and Defendant costs
- Preparing costs applications
- Preparing internal costs updates
- The Insolvency Service – in relation to the preparation of bills of costs in and advising on settlement parameters.