Jon represents companies across various industries in both federal and state courts. He focuses his practice on complex business litigation and appeals, with relevant experience in matters involving breach of contract, fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as Title VII employment discrimination and violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
After completing a clerkship at the Fifth Circuit, and before joining Womble Bond Dickinson, Jon worked in Houston, Texas where he gained significant experience serving the energy sector. He represented both upstream and downstream oil and gas clients in private disputes as well as environmental-related investigations by various federal and state agencies.
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America’s Ones to Watch (BL Rankings), Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Business Litigation, Appellate, Employment Litigation, 2019, 2021
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defended international oil and gas company in $55m contractual and regulatory dispute over well plugging and abandonment obligations in the deep-water Gulf of Mexico.
- Serving pro bono on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, obtained unanimous reversal of the denial of attorney’s fees in a civil rights class action against a state government.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against the corporate parent of a master limited partnership in an action challenging the subsidiary’s sale of a $700m asset to the parent.
- Defended natural gas pipeline contractor and subcontractor in an investigation by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Secured nuisance-payment settlement for individual defendant in $120m action alleging securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Served as lead attorney in settling a trust dispute between 20 family members involving over $20m in assets