As the leader of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Business Immigration Solutions practice group, Jennifer Cory navigates the complexities of US immigration law to design efficient, effective visa routes for her clients, who include educators, entrepreneurs, executives, innovators, and investors in key industry sectors such as academia, automotive, financial, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, and technology. Her comprehensive guidance ensures that companies and individuals alike understand and comply with the web of multiple and often confusing regulations that govern the authorized employment and status of non-citizens.
Jennifer’s clients contribute to all aspects of everyday life. They develop and manufacture versatile and cutting-edge products used in our homes, vehicles, and work environments, conduct research and development that ensures the safety of the prescriptions that keep us healthy and train the minds of the next generation of globally-oriented citizens.
Certified as a Specialist in Immigration Law by the North Carolina State Bar, included in Best Lawyers in America in the field of Immigration Law, and selected as a global leader in Who’s Who Legal for Corporate Immigration, Jennifer is a locally, nationally, and globally recognized expert.
Presentations and Publications
- Judge Rules Against Another Attempt by Trump to Restrict Legal Immigration, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, December 2020
- Presidential Proclamation Limits Nonimmigrant Entry, Extends Immigrant Restrictions, Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, June 2020
- President Trump Suspends Immigrant Entry to the U.S., Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, April 2020
- COVID-19 Immigration-Related Q&A, Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, March 2020
- COVID-19: European Travel Ban, Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, March 2020
- Important Announcement – H-1B Cap Electronic Registration Details, Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, January 2020
- Employer Compliance & Enforcement 2019 in Retrospect – Where do We Go from Here?, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, January 2020
- USCIS Reaches FY2020 H-1B Cap, Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, April 2019
- USCIS Announces FY 2020 H-1B Cap Season Start, Updates, and Changes, Co-Author, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, March 2019
- Is Immigration Reform Needed and Why Should Financial Institutions Care?, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, September 2018
- Still An Unsolved Mystery – The H-1B Visa Lottery Process, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, July 2018
- The Four Pillars, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, February 2018
- Raise Your Hand If You’re Confused about I-9 Reverifications for Employees with TPS, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, January 2018
- The Government Has Shut Down. Now What?, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, January 2018
- Nemo Est Supra Leges, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, January 2018
- Can They Really Do That?, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, November 2017
- Timing is Everything, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, October 2017
- Travel Ban, Take 3, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, October 2017
- Fall Colors Include Green – Annual Green Card Lottery Registration to Begin October 3rd, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, September 2017
- Are You Ready for Operation Mega?, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, September 2017
- DACA Program to Be Phased Out, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, September 2017
- USCIS Expands In-Person Interview Requirements for Certain Permanent Residency Applicants, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, August 2017
- New I-9 Form, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, August 2017
- Are You Feeling Lucky? Insight for Employers Submitting H-1B Visa Petitions, The Employers Association, March 2017
- Can The U.S. Remain Competitive In The Global Marketplace?, Greater Charlotte Biz, August/September 2015
- Co-Author, Increasing the Efficiency and Profitability of Your Practice, AILA 2015 Annual Conference Handbook Immigration Practice Pointers, June 2015
- What to Consider Before Hiring a Foreign National, Greater Charlotte Biz, October 2014
- USCIS Immigrant Investor Program EB-5: Coming To America For A Price, Greater Charlotte Biz, June 2014
- Editor, AILA 2011 Midyear Conference Handbook It’s the Economy, Stupid! The Impact of the Economy on Business Immigration, January 2011
- Employers Should Take a Lesson from Boy Scouts and ‘Be Prepared’ for Immigration Audits, NC Lawyer’s Weekly, March 22, 2010
- The Return of the Social Security Administration No Match Letter, Association of Corporate Counsel, Compliance and Ethics Network Meeting, June 2019
- Immigration and Hiring International Employees and Workers, German American Chamber of Commerce of the Southern US Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) Skills Conference, May 2019
- Rocky Steps – Rising to the Challenge of the U.S. Labor Shortage, Association of Corporate Counsel Greater Philadelphia Chapter In-House Counsel Conference, April 2019
- Immigration & Visa Basics, Northern Powerhouse Trade Mission, March 2018
- The Heat is On – How to Keep Your Cool Over US Immigration Policy, Association of Corporate Counsel Compliance & Ethics Network, August 2018
- A 2018 Immigration Forecast – What You Should Know About Anticipated Changes on the Horizon, North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities, January 2018
- E-Verify Overview, Webinar Co-presenter, October 2017
- What Does It Mean?! Making Sense of Recent Immigration-Related Tweets and Announcements, Association of Corporate Counsel, Compliance and Ethics Committee Meeting, September 2017
- Who’s Eyeing Your Forms I-9?, Webinar Co-presenter, August 2017
- Increasing the Efficiency and Profitability of Your Practice, AILA Annual Conference, June 2015
- Immigration Update for Employers, The Employers Association, June 2015
- Beyond OPT, University of North Carolina - Charlotte, February 2015
- Everything You Need to Know: I-9 Compliance and E-Verify, Mecklenburg County Bar, April 2014
- Strategies for Maintaining Status, AILA Georgia-Alabama Chapter 2nd Annual Conference, March, 2014
- Current Issues Breakfast, The Employer’s Association, February 2013
- Cross Training - Why Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Immigration Law, Mecklenburg County Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, December 2012
- Immigration Update: Post-Election Review, The Employer’s Association, January 2009
- U.S. Business Immigration Issues, Sterling Education, November 2008
- Exposing the Dilemma, An Educational Forum on the Moral and Legal Complexities of Immigration, St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church, October 2008
- E-Verify Update, The Employer’s Association, October 2008
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association International Law and Practice Section Council Member and Immigration Committee Co-Chair
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- Florida Bar
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- 2017 Co-Chair Nominations Committee, Women Lawyers of Charlotte
- North Carolina State Bar Immigration Specialization Committee
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Immigration Law, 2013 – Present
- NC Board Certified Immigration Law Specialist
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration, 2019 – Present
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Developed a centralized immigration process for one of the world’s top automotive suppliers headquartered in Germany, which improved its ability to transfer a high volume of key employees quickly and economically to locations across the U.S.
- Facilitated work authorization for hundreds of Canadian-based Clinical Research Associates to conduct site monitoring visits on behalf of a preeminent multinational health information technology and clinical research provider.
- Obtained blanket approval for a Hong Kong global education services provider enabling it to now transfer talent to the U.S. without first acquiring pre-clearance State-side.
- Conducted onsite internal compliance audits for a leading grocery retailer’s East Coast distribution centers, protecting the client from hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fines.
- Assisted cutting-edge Taiwanese clinical researcher in regenerative medicine and tissue engineering obtain permanent residence.