A former Assistant US Attorney and current Managing Partner of the firm’s Tysons, Virginia office, Gary has more than 25 years of experience representing companies and individuals in complex business disputes and white collar criminal defense matters. He has tried more than 50 cases to a jury and has resolved commercial disputes in federal and state courts throughout the United States, including the Eastern District of Virginia (“Rocket Docket”). He also has substantial experience in arbitration and mediation proceedings involving AAA and JAMS.
Gary’s commercial disputes practice includes the representation of government contractors, technology companies, construction contractors, and manufacturers in matters involving problematic mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and shareholder disputes, breach of contract, fraud and other business torts including tortious interference with contract, civil conspiracy, defamation and conversion, unfair competition, unfair and deceptive trade practices, RICO, trademark infringement and false advertising. These disputes have involved a wide range of subject areas including software, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, professional services, telecommunications, energy and electronic health records.
Gary’s white collar criminal defense practice includes the representation of organizations and individuals in federal and state prosecutions, grand jury proceedings, criminal, inspector general and internal investigations.
- Virginia State Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- District of Columbia Bar Association (Intellectual Property Law Section)
- Florida Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
Super Lawyers Honoree in Intellectual Property Litigation, Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2006 – 2007
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- As lead trial counsel, obtained a $2 million jury verdict in favor of a limited liability company after a three week jury trial on a claim of fraud in connection with the acquisition of an electronic health records company.
- As lead trial counsel, obtained a $2.8 million bench verdict in favor of a limited liability company after a two week bench trial on a claim of breach of contract in connection with the acquisition of an electronic health records company; the verdict also discharged the company from liability in connection with a counterclaim seeking $2.1 million dollars in payments remaining under promissory notes.
- As lead trial counsel, obtained a complete defense verdict and recovery of attorneys’ fees in favor of a government contractor after a 4 day jury trial on claims of breach of contract and tortious interference with business expectancy in connection with the performance of a settlement agreement; plaintiff was seeking in excess of $4 million dollars in compensatory damages plus punitive damages and attorneys’ fees for an alleged failure to novate a government contract.
- As lead counsel, obtained a summary judgment award of $1.34 million dollars in favor of a construction contractor on a breach of contract claim relating to the construction of a mitigation bank in the Meadowlands of New Jersey; the court also awarded summary judgment in favor of the construction contractor on adverse claims for breach of contract and unlawful construction liens brought by the developer and lender.
- Defense counsel for a former White House Travel Office employee in a federal grand jury investigation concerning allegations of financial irregularities in the office operations, otherwise known as “Travelgate;” prosecution was declined.