Emily Whittaker helps companies protect their most important asset, their brand. She represents clients at all stages of the intellectual property life cycle, and guides them in establishing and protecting trademark rights.
Emily regularly counsels clients in trademark prosecution, preparing and filing trademark applications and trademark renewals with the US Patent and Trademark Office. She also performs trademark investigations and trademark searches for availability, both in international venues as well as in the US. She works to protect her clients’ valuable trademark rights by preparing cease and desist letters and has experience in preparing and defending trademark oppositions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Should a trademark application be rejected, Emily represents clients in the appeals process.
Emily understands her clients’ businesses and advises on potential gaps in trademark protection. She works with clients in a wide range of industries, including consumer products, software, financial services/banking and pharmaceutical sectors.
TTAB Agrees with Parents Everywhere: Children do not hold the Control—Noble House v. Floorco, IPWatchdog.com, Oct. 14, 2016.
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Brief Reading Judge, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, 2017
- Brief Reading Judge, AIPLA Giles Sutherland Rich Moot Court Competition, 2017
- Member, ChIPs
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America’s Ones to Watch (BL Rankings), Intellectual Property Law, 2021
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Assisted in strategy and preparation of complex office action responses for snack foods giant.
- Assisted with trademark clearance and opinions for large pet goods retailer.
- Assisted with maintenance and management of large global trademarks portfolio for major paperboard packaging company.
- Monitored and protected large online gaming and consumer goods retailer’s domestic and international trademarks by drafting cease and desist letters and investigating possible infringement.
- Investigated domain name infringement issues and determined take down actions for companies in the consumer and the financial industries.