Liz strategically partners with clients throughout the dispute resolution process as a counselor, trusted advisor and advocate from pre-litigation risk assessment all the way through trial. Business-minded and practical, Liz finds cost-effective solutions to achieve clients’ business objectives. Clients trust Liz’s judgment and legal skills, and know they will receive outstanding client service and consistent results. Liz helps clients achieve peace of mind during the litigation process, so they can stay focused on growing their businesses.
With more than a decade of litigation experience, Liz has tried multiple cases to verdict. She’s arbitrated and mediated disputes with favorable results. Short of an early resolution consistent with your objectives, Liz will be prepared to go to trial whether in front of a judge or jury in state or federal court or a panel of arbitrators in arbitration. She’ll be on your side.
Liz advises clients in Texas, Oklahoma and North Dakota in disputes arising from oil and gas leases and assignments, joint operations, joint accounting, mergers and acquisitions, preferential rights or areas of mutual interests, surface use accommodation and damages, oilfield services and equipment, seismic operations, equipment and pipeline failure, nuisance, quiet title, surface and subsurface trespass, hydraulic fracturing, mineral liens and theft of trade secrets.
Liz helps clients resolve disputes across multiple industries: energy, exploration and production, oilfield services, transportation, construction, banking, real estate, and professional services, involving claims for breach of contract, negligence, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, post-judgment enforcement, theft of trade secrets, breach of contract, tortious interference, conversion, and declaratory judgment.
Liz enjoys spending time with her husband and local Houston jazz musician, David, with her sons, Burke and Charlie, at gymnastics or swim meets, and her step-daughter, Emma, a reptile enthusiast. Occasionally, she finds time to play the marimba and paint.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Women’s Initiative and Young Leader programs, United Way
- Former Judicial Reception Chair, Association of Women Attorneys
- Chair Elect, Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas and Mineral Section, 2019-2020
- Executive and Strategic Planning Committee Member, Institute for Energy Law
- Former Chair, Young Energy Professionals (“YEP”) Committee, Institute for Energy Law
- Former Co-chair, ABA Section of Energy Litigation Committee
- 2019, Litigation Module Chair, IEL Annual Oil and Gas Conference
- 2018, “Frac Hit Litigation: Where Horizontal Meets Vertical,” Moderator, IEL Young Energy Professionals Conference
- 2015, “The Shale Energy Revolution: A Lawyer’s Guide,” Editor and Contributor, ABA Energy Litigation Committee
- 2014, “Bright Lights, Big Oil,” Co-Author, The Houston Lawyer
- 2014, “Things that Go Bump in the Night: Litigation Risks that Leave Oil and Gas CEO’s Sleepless,” Co-Author, Oil and Gas Monitor
- 2012, “Drilling Into Ambiguities in Oil and Gas Law,” Co-Author, Law360
- 2010, “A Watched Pot Never Boils: Keeping Boilerplate Provisions from Bubbling Over,” Co-Author, The Houston Lawyer
- 2013–2017, “Rising Star” in Energy & Natural Resources, listed in Texas Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters)
- 2010, “Yellow Rose of Texas,” commissioned by Governor Perry
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of oil and gas company on quiet title action in Oklahoma resulting from expiration of oil and gas lease
- Won motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction on behalf of Canadian company in dispute arising from the sale of goods to a U.S. company
- Tried to jury verdict a negligence action arising from a train derailment
- Successfully resolved $42 million tortious interference counter claim arising from the purchase of North Dakota oil and gas assets out of a bankruptcy sale following pre-trial hearing
- Won arbitration award for $4.3 million on behalf of a pipeline company against a large valve manufacturer for damages, costs, and attorney’s fees incurred as a result of an inline inspection tool becoming lodged in a defective valve
- Arbitrated a $40 million dollar dispute arising from cost overruns related to a Gulf of Mexico development project against a foreign corporation and domestic subsidiaries
- Secured a take nothing judgment following a bench trial against plaintiff engineering firm related to the procurement and commissioning of oilfield service equipment
- Tried to jury verdict a contract dispute arising between former executives and successor-in-interest oil and gas company following a merger involving compensation and benefits
- Successfully obtained favorable settlement on behalf of employer against former employee in a dispute arising from misappropriation of trade secrets