David Broughton serves as trusted advisor to companies and individuals in a variety of corporate matters. Mr. Broughton has significant experience assisting private, public and nonprofit companies in various industries with:
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Corporate finance transactions;
- Other commercial transactions; and
- Corporate and board governance matters.
In addition, Mr. Broughton is a leader of Womble Bond Dickinson’s multidisciplinary approach to serving continuing care retirement community (CCRC) and other senior living providers by providing a broad range of legal services. Mr. Broughton serves as the North Carolina representative to the Legal Committee of Leading Age, a national association of nonprofit senior living providers.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Broughton worked as an investment banker for a boutique investment banking firm that focused on mergers and acquisitions and capital raises for healthcare companies.
Civic and Professional Activities
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Past Member, Board of Visitors, and co-chaired National Student Recruitment Committee. Served on other committees in support of UNC-CH
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts Foundation: Board of Directors and Member, Executive Committee and Development Committee
- Wake Forest University Family Business Center (now the Center For Private Business): Past Member, Board of Advisors; served as Womble Carlyle’s liaison to the Family Business Center
- St. Paul’s Episcopal Church: Co-Chair, reNEWal Capital Campaign; Past Co-Chair, 2015 Annual Stewardship Campaign; Past Chair, Long-Range Vision Committee; Past Senior Warden, Junior Warden and Vestry Member; Recipient of St. Paul’s Cross award, given for outstanding leadership to the church; chaired or co-chaired numerous church committees; Usher; Lector; and former Sunday School Teacher
- Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina: Chair, The Fair Share Appeals Board and Past Member, Bishop Suffragan Transition Committee
- The Rotary Club of Winston-Salem: Member
- Woodberry Forest School: Member, Triad Region Alumni Board; Amici Fund Class Representative
- Summit School: Past Co-Chair, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 Parents’ Annual Fund Campaign
- Bar Associations: American Bar Association (Business Law Section); and North Carolina Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Secretary, North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Section
- Co-Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Business Section’s Annual Meeting and Business Institute Planning Committee
- Member of the LeadingAge Legal Committee
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2019 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Closed numerous sales, divestitures, acquisitions and mergers in a variety of industries, including furniture, textiles, telecommunications, food products, home health/durable medical equipment, medical provider practices, battery manufacturing, steel product manufacturing, printing and others.
- Serve as corporate counsel to multiple CCRCs in assisting with corporate and board structure and governance, regulatory compliance, resident matters, contracts, tax-exempt and taxable financings and other matters.
- Represent a nonprofit corporation that is the largest employer of people who are blind or visually impaired in the United States in a variety of strategic, general corporate and transactional matters.
- Represent one of the world’s largest manufacturers of food service equipment in corporate structure and governance matters, commercial transactions and other matters.
- Represent a leading provider of home health services and durable medical equipment in multiple acquisitions.