David is a partner and head of the firm's casualty and property risks teams.
He deals exclusively with the defence of large loss and catastrophic claims, including brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputee cases and fatalities. He advises clients on the complexities of these types of cases and works closely with all parties to the claim to bring matters to a resolution.
David’s experience covers employers’ and public liability, motor claims and product liability. He has acted for insurers, major commercial organisations, claims handling agencies, police authorities, and local authorities.
The casualty and property risks teams deal with the defence of personal injury actions arising across the whole spectrum of risks, as well as providing a subrogated recovery service for insurers and major commercial clients.
- Insurers in a complex multi-million pound residential care case where the claimant suffered injuries of the utmost severity. Securing an agreement with the local PCT to fund the shortfall in funding caused by a shortfall in the claimant’s damages consequent upon contributory negligence and the limit in funding provided by the FSCS to an insurer in liquidation
- Insurers in relation to a catastrophic injury case with a value in excess of £7m where periodical payments were sought. Settling the claim at £4.5m and on a lump sum basis, representing a substantial saving to insurers and reinsurers, and closure of the matter
- Insurers in relation to a claim brought by a claimant who had sustained a severe head injury and cortical blindness, dealing with issues of care, accommodation, adaptive technology, and periodic payments
- Insurers in a catastrophic brain injury case where liability was in dispute between a number of defendants, and settling by way of a very limited contribution to the claimant's damages
- Insurers in relation to a chronic pain case with a value in excess of £1m, with significant issues in relation to liability, not least in relation to the veracity of the claimant, and multiple experts in relation to quantum.
"Good, practical and measured advice."