Chris focuses his practice on finance, special situations and restructuring.
Chris advises lenders, administrative agents, borrowers, and issuers, in a variety of corporate and commercial finance transactions, including single-lender and syndicated credit facilities. His experience includes acquisition finance, asset-based loans, dealer finance, factoring and supply chain finance arrangements, and representation of public companies in offerings of high-yield and investment grade debt.
Chris also works on a variety of special situations involving distressed transactions, including complex settlements, rescue financings, distressed M&A, corporate dissolutions, section 363 sales, and receiver sales. He represents various constituents in chapter 11 bankruptcy cases nationwide.
Chris frequently helps financial institutions, special servicers, and distressed debt investors efficiently resolve distressed loans, in and out of bankruptcy. He negotiates and documents forbearances, modifications, and forced dispositions. He has particular experience with high-dollar real estate foreclosures and receiverships in South Carolina and North Carolina, often involving loans financed through the commercial mortgage-backed securities market. Chris also has experience representing creditors in the defense of preference and fraudulent transfer actions.
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Commercial Finance Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
Honors and Awards
- Received the 2019 Best Lawyers™ Bankruptcy Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" award in Columbia, South Carolina
- Selected to the South Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2016 – 2019
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2020
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented major environmental creditor in chapter 11 bankruptcy case of a potentially responsible party, including service as chair of the official committee of unsecured creditors.
- Represented leading independent investment management company with respect to $250 million syndicated credit facility.
- Represented paper products company with respect to $30 million asset-based revolver and $100 million term loan.
- Represented publicly-traded technology company in connection with issuance of several billion in senior notes.
- Represented administrative agent in connection with term and revolving facilities for agricultural products company.
- Represented leading CMBS special servicer with respect to foreclosure on large enclosed mall property, including intercreditor issues.
- Represented national bank in work-out of distressed asset-based loan with obligors and collateral in the United States, England, and Hong Kong, including forbearance and modification documentation.
- Advised a construction aggregate producer as purchaser of real estate assets in sale pursuant to Bankruptcy Code § 363.