Cathy is a veteran trial lawyer who defends companies that face complex disputes with other businesses and the United States or state governments. She is known for her strengths-based leadership of teams that deliver definitive client solutions.
A partner in Womble’s Business Litigation Group, Cathy represents companies in disputes involving real estate development projects, commercial lending, commercial leasing, corporate governance disputes, commercial contracts, business fraud, and employment claims. Cathy has represented residential and commercial real estate developers, financial services companies, professional services firms, government contractors, emerging tech companies, software developers, manufacturers, and receivers and bankruptcy trustees in civil litigation.
Cathy also counsels clients under investigation by regulatory authorities or law enforcement agencies and defends clients charged with white collar crimes. These matters have included defense of companies and executives accused of RICO, FCA, money laundering, gambling, and fraud offenses. She also helps clients respond to forfeitures, seizures and whistleblower claims, and conduct internal investigations.
Cathy’s diverse experience includes successful bench and jury trials, mediations and arbitrations, obtaining and defending against emergency injunctive relief, appellate practice and proficiency in complex e-discovery.
Cathy serves on the firm’s Professionalism Committee and leads the firm’s women’s leadership program, Women of Womble (WOW).
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, The Upswing Is in Lawsuits, Legal Times, Volume 30, No. 10, March 5, 2007
- Parent-Child Immunity and Motor Vehicle Torts: Defending the Minority View, Maryland Law Review, Volume 57, No. 3, 1998
- Co-Presenter with G. David Carter, Litigation Funding in the COVID-19 Era, April 29, 2020
- Women in Technology
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia State Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Successfully defended government contractor in Department of Defense Office of Inspector General investigation.
- Represented corporate executive in False Claims Act investigation prompted by whistleblower.
- Represented U.S. professional services firm executive in New York Department of Financial Services investigation of foreign bank.
- Defended high net worth individuals in civil protective order actions.
- Represented professional athletes in administrative investigations and defense of criminal charges.
- Represented federal agents involved in firearm discharge incidences.
- Successfully defended a national homebuilder against a $28 million damages claim arising out of delayed completion of a real estate development project, achieving dismissal of all damages claims on summary judgment.
- Served as lead trial counsel for global manufacturer of appliance products in breach of contract, breach of warranty, and Uniform Commercial Code violation action against a supplier that wrongfully terminated a requirements agreement, resulting in a $1.5 million jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Successfully defended an international airport retail and concession developer against breach of lease, discrimination, and fraud claims brought by a food service franchise tenant whose business failed. Following dismissal of all but one claim on motions to dismiss and for summary judgment, Cathy first chaired the jury trial on a remaining fraud claim, achieving a full defense verdict in favor of the client.
- Defended software developer and its executives charged with gambling, money laundering and RICO related offenses arising out of gaming software licensing agreements. Achieved disqualification of prosecutor, conducted Franks hearing, litigated complex constitutional motions, litigated concurrent civil litigation for injunctive relief and negotiated a favorable resolution involving expungable misdemeanor pleas for the individual clients.
- Defended same software developer in civil forfeiture action brought by the Massachusetts Attorney General based on the same conduct, achieving AG’s voluntary dismissal of claims and return of all funds seized.
- Represented overseas employees of European auto manufacturer in global emissions fraud investigation.