Carol is the “go-to” person for many multinationals on U.S. legal matters related to internal investigations, government investigations, and commercial litigations. She is adept at resolving regulatory issues regarding U.S. export controls, economic sanctions, Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), anti-money laundering (AML), and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). She regularly represents prominent domestic and international clients before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the U.S. Departments of Justice, Commerce, and Treasury. Carol is particularly recognized for her industry-leading skill set concerning unique U.S. legal issues confronting companies operating in the Greater China region and Japan.
During law school, Carol served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Florence Y. Pan at the District of Columbia Superior Court (currently judge at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia). She began her legal career as an associate in the Washington, D.C., office of a multinational law firm.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a major global telecommunications company in connection with a historic multi-year U.S. export control enforcement action and post-settlement monitorship; obtained first-ever temporary general license to allow company to operate while under investigation
- Represented multiple leading global logistics companies on U.S. economic sanctions compliance matters, managed disclosures to the U.S. Department of Treasury, and prepared responses to subpoenas and requests from relevant U.S. regulatory agencies
- Conducted anti-bribery diligence for leading international medical equipment firm in support of its acquisition of a Chinese medical equipment distributor
- Provided FCPA compliance advice in connection with exiting a joint venture in China for a leading U.S. pharmaceutical company
- Provided sanctions and export controls advice for US operations of German logistics company
- Represented a major U.S. aerospace company in connection with a global FCPA internal investigation and related disclosures to the U.S. government
- Speaker, “International Anti-Money Laundering Trends: U.S. Regulatory Developments,” Thomson Reuters Greater China AML Trends Webinar, May 13, 2022
- Co-Author, “Whistleblowing in China: Demystifying the Myths,” Regulatory Investigations and Financial Crime Insights Blog (Clifford Chance), April 8, 2022
- Contributor, “The Latest Download on Apps: New Risks for Companies Operating in Both the US and China,” Client Alert (Clifford Chance), June 25, 2021
- Contributor, “US Export Controls Need to Be Part of Your Pre-Flight Checklist for Commercial Aircraft Transfers,” Client Alert (Clifford Chance), June 3, 2021