*Dr. Aziz is not licensed to practice law. Her activities are directly supervised by members of the firm licensed to practice law.
Azie is a Patent Agent and IP Analyst in Womble Bond Dickinson’s Houston office, focusing on patent drafting and patent prosecution in a broad range of technologies, including energy, electrical and mechanical systems, computer software, antenna, wireless communications, and medical devices. Previously, she was a Senior Geophysicist / Account Manager at Lumina Technologies, where she focused on the application of high-resolution seismic attributes technology to characterize hydrocarbon reservoir for the oil and gas exploration, software development and testing, commercialization of oil and gas software, product marketing, and business development.
Before Lumina, Azie was working with various geophysical methods including Radar, Lidar, and EM. For her doctoral research, she acquired, processed, and interpreted 3-D data of geological formations, archaeological sites, and an impact crater. She developed algorithms to determine the effect of antenna frequencies on radar systems and target objects (including SNR, Effective Radiation Pattern, depth of penetration). She also developed methods to estimate different types of imaging velocities as a function of antenna frequencies. Prior to that, she interned at Shell where she was involved in solving technical problems relating to the seismic imaging of sub-salt reservoir in the Gulf of Mexico.
Azie worked as an electrical engineer with KMS Technologies, focusing on the development of Marine Electromagnetic sensors for oil and gas exploration. She was involved in the development of the Geophysical Data Acquisition System resulting in one U.S. patent. She led the land sensor measurement test for Saudi Aramco. She also handled marketing activities, account management, and client training for KMS Technologies.
Azie spent over four years with PETRONAS, the national oil and gas company of Malaysia where she taught and performed research primarily in wireless networking, digital signal processing, EM, and RFID in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the PETRONAS wholly-owned university.
Azie has a Ph.D. in Geophysics from the University of Houston, a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, and a Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics(Telecommunications) from Multimedia University in Malaysia. Azie is a co-inventor for a U.S. patent, has co-authored 10 peer-reviewed journal publications, and has presented at over 35 international and local scientific conferences.
- Volunteer, Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), 2003-present
- Columnist, Geophysical Society of Houston (GSH) Journal, 2017-2018
- Reviewer, Interpretation Journal, SEG
- Reviewer, Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Reviewer, Journal of Archaeological Science
- Member, Society of Petroleum Engineer (SPE)
- Member, American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, Houston Intellectual Property Law Association (HIPLA)
- Member, Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy (WRISE)
Honors and Awards
- Top 31 Best Technical Paper (Out of 1,081 papers), Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) 85th Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 2015
- Award of Merit, Best Student Paper, SEG Annual Meeting, 2015
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) Foundation Scholarships (including Margaret Sheriff, WesternGeco, Chevron, and CGG Scholarships)