Ideas are the lifeblood of the technology sector. Andy Spence protects that lifeblood. Andy is an Intellectual Property attorney whose practice focuses on patent procurement and protection in electronics and computer technology. He is also an award-winning author and a regular speaker on patent law matters both domestically and abroad.
Andy has significant experience handling complex patent matters for companies in various fields and covering a number of diverse technologies, including telecommunications, aerospace and e-commerce. He has handled patent matters related to wireline and wireless networks, personal communication service and cellular communication and data encoding/decoding; economic modeling, computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM), signal processing, flight simulation, radar, antenna, microwave engineering and micro-computing, as well as online real estate and travel services.
Andy has handled post-issuance patent matters and has assisted clients in patent interference and reissue proceedings. He also regularly counsels clients on other intellectual property matters such as patent infringement, validity and enforceability issues, and intellectual property due diligence.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Coordinates the firm’s patent preparation and prosecution efforts for one of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers and defense corporations.
- Regularly assists one of the world’s largest manufacturers of home appliances with patentability and clearance evaluations, patent preparation and prosecution.
- Assists one of the originators of three-dimensional (3D) printing technology with patent preparation and prosecution.
- Regularly negotiates confidentiality agreements with financial institutions on behalf of a market leader in bank-owned life insurance.
- Serves as volunteer attorney with Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Lawyer on the Line program, assisting pro bono clients with landlord-tenant matters.