Andrew works in our Projects & Procurement Team specialising in public sector projects including longer term services and infrastructure contracts and PPP/PFI. He works across a range of sectors including defence, district heating, education, health, leisure, street lighting and transport and has extensive experience of advising on waste projects including energy from waste, collection, recycling, materials trading, street cleansing and landfill arrangements.
Andrew acts for the public sector, private sector (at both project co and sub–contractor level) and funders advising on:
- The interpretation, drafting and negotiation of PPP/outsourcing arrangements
- Bids for PPP/outsourcing projects. This includes advising on bid strategy, the commercial implications of documentation, advising on and drafting sub-contracts, preparing risk reports and advising on risk mitigation
- Variations to existing PPP/outsourcing arrangements
- The termination of PPP/outsourcing arrangements
- The interpretation, drafting and negotiation of inter-authority arrangements which underpin procurements and long term contracts.
Andrew advises the public and private sector on public procurement. This includes advising on procurement strategies/structures, drafting various procurement documents (including OJEU notices, PQQs, ITTs, evaluation criteria and standstill letters) and advising on a range of procurement issues including substantial modification, evaluation, challenge and risk mitigation. Andrew is therefore a one stop shop for the procurement of public sector contracts ensuring that the contractual and procurement elements of a project dovetail.
Andrew has spoken at national conferences regarding procuring and renegotiating PPP contracts and written articles on the same.
Examples of experience include advising:
- City of York Council on its £32M Community Stadium and Leisure Project, involving drafting and negotiating the DBOM contract, advising on back to back arrangements with a school regarding a dual use site and providing general commercial advice throughout
- Local authorities on major variations to their waste PFI contracts including to deliver an energy from waste facility and higher recycling rates
- A private healthcare provider on its successful bid to develop a private patient unit
- A University on the procurement of a student accommodation scheme for in excess of 1,000 rooms
- A Council on the delivery of its district heating scheme
- A transport body on its procurement of a network operator.
"Andrew is an exceptionally bright motivated professional with a keen grasp of both the legal and commercial aspects of his specialist field."