Alissa advises national, regional and local healthcare providers on a broad range of legal issues. As both an attorney and a registered nurse, she uses her first-hand experience to understand and strategically address some of her clients’ biggest industry challenges.
Alissa’s clients include large hospital systems as well as long term care facilities, home health agencies, pharmacies, and healthcare professionals. Her counsel touches on almost every aspect of health care operations including regulatory compliance; operations and risk management; certification; reimbursement and Medicare and Medicaid repayment audits and voluntary repayments; investigations and disclosures under the CMS and OIG self-disclosure protocols involving potential violations of the Fraud and Abuse Anti-kickback Statute; confidentiality of medical information and HIPAA; facility licensing; certification of need; scope of practice and other healthcare issues involving both the state and federal law.
On the healthcare litigation side, Alissa handles litigation at the trial and appellate levels, including jury and non-jury trials and hearings on behalf of hospitals, physicians, long term care facilities, home health and hospice providers, pharmacies, and other healthcare professionals in claims ranging from medical malpractice, disciplinary proceedings, repayment, and qui tam whistleblower actions.
In addition to her healthcare practice, Alissa counsels and represents public and private employers on employment issues. She concentrates her employment practice on healthcare providers and represents clients in all aspects of employment litigation, including matters involving discrimination and retaliation in violation of Title VII, ADEA, FMLA, ADA and state employment laws.
Presentations and Publications
- South Carolina Expands Telemedicine to Physician Assistants, Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, September 24, 2018
- Are Non-Covered Activities And Programs At Your Campus/Institution Leaving You Overly Vulnerable to HIPAA? A “Hybrid” Designation Can Reduce Risks for HIPAA Compliance and Fines -- But be Careful to Do It Right!, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, October 15, 2018
- Employer Policies Involving the Flu Vaccine and Discrimination Under Title VII, SC Employers’ Blog, March 7, 2018
- Employers Beware: A Speed Round of Trending Topics, The South Carolina Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), CLE Seminar, June 20, 2019.
- Legal Quick Hit: Compliance, Ethics & Government A Healthcare Perspective: The Role of Outside Counsel in Internal Investigations and Considerations Toward Protecting the Attorney Client Privilege, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) webinar, June 19, 2018
- New APRN Legislation, Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, June 1, 2018
- Recent Trends with the ADA, HSB 2017 Employment Law Seminars
- Employment Law Updates, A review of the FMLA, ADA and State Worker’s Compensation Laws, Charleston, SC, 2016
- South Carolina Department of Mental Health (SCDMH) Risk Management, Panel Member, 2013
- HIPAA Uses and Disclosures, Trident Technical College: Medical Law & Ethics Course, Charleston, SC, 2010
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Charleston County Bar; DRI (formerly Defense Research Institute)
- South Carolina Bar
- Health Care Law Section, former council member
- The American Association of Nurse Attorneys
Honors and Awards
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected to the South Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2013 – 2015
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represents hospitals, long-term care providers, home health and hospice agencies in medical malpractice and wrongful death litigation.
- Represents healthcare providers in Medicare and Medicaid repayment matters including Medicare and Medicaid audits and appeals.
- Obtained dismissal from the OCR in matter involving HIPAA data breach; assists and provides guidance regarding breach notifications and responding to OCR Data Requests.
- Drafts, negotiates and advises clients regarding CIN and ACO Participation Agreements, HIE Participation Agreements, Alternative Payment Models pursuant to CMS initiatives, employment agreements (including confidentiality and non-compete terms), HIPAA policies and procedures, business associate agreements, separation agreements and other healthcare and employment contracts and operational agreements.
- Represents hospitals, home health, hospice, pharmacies and long-term care providers in licensing and certification investigations conducted by SCLLR, DHEC, CMS and DEA.
- Represents providers challenging payor audits and provider contract issues involving Medicare and Medicaid.
- Obtained defense verdicts for hospitals and physicians in trials regarding medical malpractice claims.