Wilka Toppins has more than 30 years of experience counseling global business clients on international and cross border transactions, general corporate and commercial matters, corporate immigration and labor and employment law. She represents domestic and international companies as well as hundreds of individual investors and entrepreneurs from all over the world. Her client base extends across the globe, and she regularly advises on matters across Latin America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. She also supports foreign companies and entrepreneurs seeking inbound legal advice as they establish business operations in the United States.
Wilka provides her clients with commercial perspective and counsels them on how to approach business matters so that they are able to minimize risks and maximize profit. Her experience includes advising on:
- the formation of business entities;
- contract drafting and review;
- contract dispute/breach of contract litigation;
- unfair competition disputes;
- tax matters;
- compliance issues;
- business transactions;
- business succession plans;
- liability concerns; and
- comprehensive services for businesses of all sizes and structures (e.g., partnerships, LLCs, corporations, and more).
She also helps clients understand the often-complex processes involved with US immigration. Her decades of experience provide clients with informed guidance, helping them to move forward with confidence and to make fully informed decisions that accomplish their short-term and long-term goals. Her immigration practice includes advising on family-based immigration; naturalization; employment-based visas, such as EB-2/EB-3 labor certification and aliens of extraordinary abilities and outstanding professors and researchers; L-1A executive transfers; investor visas, such as EB-5 and E-2; visas for professional athletes, artists, and performers; and visas for health care professionals.
Prior to entering private practice, Wilka worked for several prominent companies, including an American multinational oil and gas corporation, where she handled litigation matters in federal and state courts, and global telecommunications company, where she focused on business transactions, mergers, and acquisitions.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Serves as US corporate counsel for a large Mexico-based rubber manufacturer in its US activities.
- Represented a Houston-based medical facility and practice in its acquisition by a national firm.
- Represented a Houston-based engineering firm in its acquisition by an international London-based firm.
- Represented a San Antonio-based refinery group with a permanent residency application for its top-level vice president.
- Obtained O1 approval for four highly-specialized chemical engineers working at the largest fertilizer plant being built in US.
- Represented over 100 EB-5 investors seeking US lawful permanent residence through direct and indirect investments in the US.
- Provided counsel and helped design an immigration program for a U.S. EB-5 Regional Center.
- Obtained O1 approval for performers and supporting crew of the most popular children's performing group in Australia for its 2019 US Tour.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Adjunct Professor, Master of Law Program, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, Texas, 2019 – Present
- Graduate, Leadership Houston Class of 2012
- Member, Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Honors and Awards
- Named as a "Women in the Fast Lane," by Greater Houston Women's Chamber of Commerce, 2012
- Named as a "Women on the Move," by Texas Executive Women, Houston, Texas, 2011
- Named as one of "Houston's Top 25 Women," by Rolling Out Magazine, Houston, Texas, 2010
- Recipient, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) Corporate Advocate of the Year Award, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2009
- Listed in "Houston's Top Lawyers," H Magazine, Houston, Texas, 2006
- Recipient, Emerging 10 Business Award, Houston Minority Business Council, Houston, Texas, 2006