Tyler is a part of the Intellectual Property Prosecution and Litigation team, and his practice includes litigation of utility patent infringement, design patent infringement, trademark infringement, unfair competition, copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and cybersquatting actions. He has experience representing clients in intellectual property disputes at district and appellate courts, PTAB post-grant proceedings, and ITC investigations. Earning a graduate degree in biomedical engineering with a concentration in medical devices and instrumentation, Tyler has particular experience handling medical device and electronics patents. Tyler is a co-leader of the firm’s Medtech group and serves as a chairperson for a non-profit medical device community organization in Orange County.
Tyler is also skilled at preparing and prosecuting utility and design patent applications in various international regions, including the U.S., Europe, China, Japan, Australia, Korea, Brazil, and Canada, across a variety of high tech disciplines including biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, chemical engineering, and mechanical engineering. He has worked on several PTAB appeals and post-grant proceedings in the U.S. and internationally. Tyler has also prosecuted trademark and trade dress applications and worked on TTAB proceedings.
Tyler received his Juris Doctor from Pepperdine University School of Law where he served as a staff editor for the Journal of the National Association of Administrative Law Judiciary. Since graduation, he has returned to Pepperdine as a guest lecturer in Patent Law and as a panelist for the Intellectual Property Student Association. Tyler also received his Master of Science degree from Johns Hopkins University and his Bachelor of Science degree from Louisiana State University.
- Co-Author, NHK-Fintiv: Reaching the Tipping Point?, World Intellectual Property Review (April 1, 2021)
- Co-Author, End of the Iancu Era: Is the PTAB Pendulum Poised to Swing Again?, Daily Journal (February 1, 2021)
- Co-Author, A Novel Framework For PTAB Parallel Petition Denials, Law360 (December 9, 2020)
- Co-Author, Creating A Better Framework For PTAB Serial Petition Denials, Law360 (November 17, 2020)
- Co-Author, A Proposed Alternative To PTAB Discretionary Denial Factors, Law360 (October 1, 2020)
- Co-Author, PTAB Factors For Instituting IPR: What The Stats Show, Law360 (September 18, 2020)
- Co-Author, Possibilities If Justices Review PTAB Judge Constitutionality, Law360 (July 10, 2020)
- The Appeals of Patent Mediation, Vol. 21, Issue 2, INTELL. PROP. L. BULL. (Spring 2017)
- Inter Partes Review: An IP Power Switch, U. ILL. J.L. TECH. & POL’Y. (Oct. 28, 2017)
- Illuminating Patterns: Predicting Fair Use Outcomes in Copyright Law, S.D. L. REV. (Apr. 2018)
- Was Diehr a Flook in the System? A Systems Analysis for Two Landmark Patent Eligibility Supreme Court Decisions, Vol. 44, No. 2, RUTGERS COMPUTER & TECH. L.J. (June 2018)
- Heads or Thales? A Comparative Mathematical Analysis for the Head-Mounted Display Technology Behind the Federal Circuit’s Thales Decision, ALB. L. J. SCI. & TECH. (2018)
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Litigated an appeal to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals for a utility patent directed at an ophthalmic laser medical surgical device
- Defended a patent infringement action in the District of Delaware for a series of utility patents directed at endoscopic medical imaging devices and systems
- Prosecuted and strategized various medical device patent portfolios including surgical instruments, imaging technologies, and machine learning and software applications
- Represented an international research institution in a patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas for a seminal utility patent directed at semiconductor transistor technology
- Defended a patent infringement action in the Central District of California for a utility patent directed at LED lighting technology
- Prosecuted a large semiconductor patent portfolio including transistor and LED technologies
- Brought a design patent infringement action against a client’s former Chinese manufacturer and provided assistance with a related Chinese lawsuit over the Chinese design patent counterpart
- Successfully appealed the invalidation of a European patent before the European Patent Office Boards of Appeal in Munich, Germany
- Defended against a series of PTAB post-grant petitions for a series of utility patents directed at oil drilling equipment
- Litigated patented e-cigarette technology for tobacco client before the ITC
- Represented cannabis start-up companies on patent and trademark applications