Tony Guerino brings more than 20 years of experience in energy and environmental litigation involving oil exploration and production disputes. He has served as lead counsel in energy-related matters throughout the United States and major producing areas around the globe. Prior to becoming an attorney, he worked as a petroleum and natural gas engineer, giving him a background in many of the technical aspects of his clients’ industry. He brings strategic guidance and practical experience to his clients. In addition to serving as lead counsel in energy exploration and production litigation, Guerino also represents energy industry clients in contract disputes and business torts. In 2011, he was named a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, one of the state’s top legal industry honors.
Tony has represented major E&P companies, oilfield service companies, drilling contractors, independent operators, working interest owners and pipeline transportation companies. His client work includes resolution of disputes involving complex energy industry matters related to Upstream Oil and Gas Operations, including Joint Operating Agreements, Purchase and Sale Agreements, Royalty Agreements, Pipeline Ruptures, FPSO construction, Subsurface Well Failures, Field Development Agreements, Fracking, Underground Trespass and Contamination, Crude Oil and Natural Gas Gathering, Transportation and Storage.
He also helps his clients evaluate and monitor risk and liability concerns at the contract drafting and negotiation stage of domestic and international projects.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Active Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity
- Elected to Fellow of Texas Bar
- Energy Bar Association
- Institute for Energy Law
- Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas and Mineral Section
- State Bar of Texas
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- American Chemical Society
Honors and Awards
- Listed, Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Experts in Energy Law, 2013-2018
- Super Lawyers Honoree, Texas Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2016-2020
- Team Member, U.S. News - Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms Edition, "Law Firm of the Year," Environmental Law, 2016
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
Oil and Gas Litigation
- Represented oil and gas E&P Company in widely followed $230 Million precedent setting Texas Supreme Court victory that centered around the critical question of when an agreement to sell oil & gas assets becomes binding. This case provides greater certainty for parties negotiating complex transactions and energy deals, particularly in the oil and gas industry, and assures parties that No Obligation Clauses will be enforced by Texas Courts.
- Led the defense of an independent E&P company and multiple working interest owners in a multi-party breach of contract case concerning the claims between $300 million to $800 million dollars.
- Defended domestic oil and gas E&P Company against claims of ground and groundwater contamination allegedly related to onshore Louisiana wells drilled and operated by his client.
- Represented reﬁnery equipment owner and dismantler in federal court matter involving multimillion-dollar damage claims allegedly incurred at reﬁnery during equipment extraction process. The case was settled on the eve of trial under terms favorable to the client.
- Represented domestic oil and gas producer in $100 million title dispute case involving bad faith trespass claims, alleged rescission of ratiﬁcations of leases, and contract interpretation issues related to multiple competing JOA's. The trial court granted declaratory relief in favor of the client.
- Represented a national directional drilling company in breach of contract claims involving a multimillion, 12-well horizontal drilling program. The litigation was submitted to binding arbitration in Atlanta, Georgia. The client prevailed on all counts.
- Represented the defendant in a major pipeline rupture case in which hundreds of local residents were evacuated following the explosion of a 6” propylene pipeline. Following a two week jury trial, a verdict was entered in favor of the client.
- Defended an international energy company against claims of negligent performance and breach of contract regarding down-hole well operations. The jury ruled for the client on all counts, and further awarded his client damages on their counter-claims.
- Represented a major oil and gas exploration and production company in its claims against a well services company for loss of a proliﬁc well producing from multiple pay zones.
- Defended one of the largest mining companies in the world, against property contamination claims resulting from oilﬁeld operations on plaintiff’s 700-acre ranch. Damages of several million dollars were claimed. Following a three week jury trial, a defense verdict was entered in favor of the client.
- Defended an international E&P company from multimillion-dollar groundwater and soil contamination claims. After discovery of technical ﬂaws and issues in plaintiff’s claims, the case settled with client receiving a nuisance value settlement.
- Created and implemented a litigation strategy that persuaded plaintiff’s to non-suit and/or dismiss the clients from asbestos related toxic tort litigation involving hundreds of claims and multiple defendants.
- Obtained numerous favorable summary judgments involving various types of oil and gas agreements including joint operating agreements, master service agreements, drilling contracts, farmout agreements, exploration agreements constraint agreements and royalty agreements.
Domestic and International Arbitrations
- Represented international oil and gas E&P company in arbitration involving $300 million in damages related to title defects in oil and gas leases acquired in $2.5 billion transaction. A global settlement in favor of the client was entered by the parties.
- Represent Anakara, Turkey based E&P company in international arbitration regarding ownership of exploratory licenses covering multiple exploratory blocks located in Turkey.
- Represented Fortune 100 energy company in connection with international arbitration claims involving the construction of a $500 million offshore ﬂoating production storage and ofﬂoading ("FPSO") facility to be installed off the coast of Nigeria. The case settled with the client receiving concessions valued in the tens of millions of dollars from contractors located on numerous continents.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represented Fortune 500 corporation from third-party claims that the corporation was the alter ego of, or in single business enterprise with, predecessor companies alleged to have committed breach of contract, fraud and/or negligence. A unanimous jury verdict as awarded for the client.
- Obtained take-nothing judgment in favor of a major oil company against royalty dispute claims, exceeding several million dollars, asserted by a mineral interest owner.