Tom Kierner is a transactional attorney with a background in payment systems and financial regulations. He is a member of the firm’s FinTech and IP Transaction teams in Atlanta.
Tom advises his clients on the dynamic regulatory and legal landscape for FinTech and payments companies. He also assists his clients in negotiating and drafting agreements with banks, processors, and other service providers.
He has experience handling data privacy matters on behalf of clients, including managing data breach responses. He also has experience responding to inquiries and enforcement actions brought by state and federal agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), various state attorneys general, and state banking divisions.
As former in-house counsel at two financial services companies, Tom provided regulatory guidance to his clients to maintain compliance with state and federal requirements, including advising on planned advertising and promotional activities to ensure compliance with consumer and privacy laws. He also oversaw his clients’ consumer arbitration process, successfully disposing of the majority of arbitration demands outside the costly arbitration process, and managed a portfolio of state money transmitter licenses, including reporting and responses to regulatory inquiries.
Tom is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Presentations and Publications
- “NY Appellate Court Upholds Department of Labor’s Payroll Card Regulations”, January 2020
- “PayPal Sues the CFPB Over the Prepaid Account Rule”, December 2019
- “Wage Advance Products Draw First Consumer Class Action Lawsuits”, December 2019
- “What Employers Need to Know About Advance Wage Payment Products”, August 2019
- Stephen T. Middlebrook, Sarah Jane Hughes, and Tom Kierner, Developments in the Law Affecting Electronic Payments and Financial Services , 74 Bus. Law. 1 (Winter 2018-19)
- Panel Member, "Anatomy of a Digital Payment Transaction,” American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Spring Meeting, Orlando, FL, April 14, 2018
- Stephen T. Middlebrook, Sarah Jane Hughes, and Tom Kierner, Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: Developments in the Law Affecting Electronic Payments and Financial Services , 73 Bus. Law. 1 (Winter 2017-18)
- Stephen T. Middlebrook, Tom Kierner and Sarah Jane Hughes, Developments in the Law Affecting Electronic Payments and Financial Services , 72 Bus. Law. 1 (Winter 2016-17)
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section; Business Law Fellow, 2016-2018
- Cyberspace Law Committee, Communications Director
International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certified Information Privacy Professional – US, 2015-Present