A Technology Transactions Partner and Adjunct Professor for Georgetown University Law Center in Washington DC, Todd Harris advises technology companies around the globe in connection with creation, commercialization, and disposition of information technology, proprietary software and data assets, including licensing and related regulatory compliance. He also regularly provides intellectual property counsel in connection with tech-centric mergers and acquisitions.
Todd helps clients craft strategies and programs for intellectual property protection, including trade secret and information security policies, patenting strategies, and brand management. He also provides counsel regarding privacy law compliance and registration of intellectual property rights, including management of international counsel for global intellectual property filings.
While many of Todd’s clients are immersed in the expansive technological markets of Northern Virginia/Washington DC and Silicon Valley, Todd has negotiated deals that reach globally throughout North America, Asia, Australia, Europe, and South America.
As an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law Center, Todd teaches the law of licensing and information technology commercialization. He is also a frequent speaker regarding a variety of legal issues, having addressed organizations and universities like the American Bar Association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the American Law Institute, the judicial conference of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Maryland, Howard University, and Georgetown University.
Todd is also an active member of the Northern Virginia community. Having graduated from Yale Divinity School with a degree in the study of ethics, Todd speaks for conferences and workshops on ethics-related topics. A classically trained musician, Todd has also performed music around the country, and his music compositions are enjoyed and performed by groups nationwide. Prior to Yale, Todd studied ethics at 2 German universities, and he keeps his rusty German in functional condition. Todd is an avid hiker, photographer, and fan of lacrosse. He lives in Potomac Falls, Virginia with his wife, 2 children, and multiple canines.
Civic and Professional Activities
- American Bar Association
- Association of University Technology Managers
- Leadership Fairfax, Member
- Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce, Policy Committee, Member
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Technology M&A: As a member of Womble’s tech-focused M&A team, Todd leverages IT industry domain knowledge to provide IP counsel in the purchase or sale of tech-centric businesses. With experience in deals ranging in value from sub-$50M to $1B+, Todd routinely acts as IP counsel in M&A deals having multi-$B aggregate value annually.
- Enterprise Software Licensing: Todd regularly advises a large, well-known software company in substantial, complex software licensing transactions around the globe to supply key technologies that enable Fortune 100 companies to manage their information technology assets.
- FinTech: Todd advised a large German technology manufacturer in the development and licensing of key information security technologies underlying mobile payment systems for telecoms and major mobile device manufacturers.
- Social Media: For years Todd has counseled a popular social media company in connection with commercialization and operation in 200+ countries, including matters related to IP protection, privacy compliance, and general commercial strategy.
- Big Data: Todd advises clients who aggregate enormous databases of consumer data, including records of consumers’ online behavior, purchasing histories, financial status and other demographic data, in connection with complex regulatory compliance issues and cutting-edge digital promotions strategies.
- University Tech Transfer: On behalf of major research universities, Todd has provided counsel to assist with out-licensing numerous university-originated technologies into the private sector for commercialization, and Todd has advised numerous such spin-out companies with fund-raising, technology development and licensing matters.
- Bioinformatics: Acting as its outside general counsel, Todd advised a venture-backed bio-informatics company, through multiple rounds of financing, in connection with the company’s technology development, clinical studies, regulatory compliance, IP protection strategies, outsourced manufacturing engagements, and distribution relationships.
- Cyber/Information Security: Todd advised an innovative cyber-security company in connection with its provision of anti-malware technologies to major U.S. port authorities and governmental agencies.
- Digital Media: On behalf of various clients, Todd has negotiated licensing deals with major media companies to authorize distribution and commercialization of media assets, including deals with major TV networks (e.g., NBCUniversal, ABC/Disney, CBS, Turner, etc.) and major music labels (e.g., Sony, Warner, etc.).