Tom Wilmoth is an experienced civil litigation attorney who defends multinational companies involved in complex product liability litigation. He resolves product liability and personal injury disputes for his clients by comprehensively analyzing the medical issues and advancing judicious strategies for defense. Tom consults with and prepares expert witnesses to deliver reliable medical and scientific testimony in the fields of oncology, pathology, cardiology, pulmonology and toxicology. Tom brings these skills when also defending small business clients in civil litigation proceedings, including contractual disputes, personal injury and product liability cases.
Tom works extensively with Fortune 500 clients in mass torts, class actions, multidistrict litigation (MDL) and other coordinated proceedings during his time at the firm’s Case Management Facility (CMF). The CMF assists clients manage mass tort litigation by creating and administering virtual law firms worldwide. This allows in-house, national and local counsel in multiple countries and jurisdictions to communicate with each other in real-time in a secure environment, to electronically access all work product, and to reduce costs.
As a member of the firm’s Emergency Response Team (ERT), Tom represents clients by providing expeditious, on-site legal advice in the aftermath of catastrophic events, which sometimes involve serious injuries or fatalities. His experience as a former officer with the Greensboro Police Department helps him to be especially equipped to counsel clients in stressful situations. Tom also devotes a portion of his time to pro bono work. He represented an 11-yearold Honduran child in a lengthy removal proceeding, and was successful in convincing the court to allow the child to remain with family in the US.
An Eagle Scout, he is actively involved in the community through his leadership service with the Boy Scouts of America, as well as his involvement with the National MS Society.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented an international energy client involved in an MDL and a putative shareholder derivative class action.
- Represented R.J. Reynolds in numerous individual wrongful death and personal injury actions in several jurisdictions, with a focus on developing medical defense strategies and preparing expert medical witnesses for testimony.
- Recently represented R.J. Reynolds in a wrongful death lawsuit in the state of Florida. Developed a medical defense strategy and prepared an expert witness for trial testimony, resulting in a favorable jury verdict on the medical issues.
- Provided trial team support and managed a team of paralegals at the firm’s CMF which built an electronic legal knowledge management (LKM) database from the ground-up for an international energy client.
- Assisted one of the country’s largest furniture manufacturers on various OSHA matters, including facility inspections.
- Represented a local construction company in a lawsuit involving a breach of contract and
product liability claim, resulting in dismissal of lawsuit against client.