Flynt’s background is a valuable asset in meeting his client’s needs. Having spent six years as a research and development engineer at Lexmark International, Inc., where he earned several patents as an inventor, Flynt fully understands both the inventive and protective perspectives of the patent process.
With a practice that focuses on managing intellectual property portfolios, Flynt regularly counsels clients to procure, protect and leverage their intellectual property rights. He has extensive experience in preparing and prosecuting US and foreign patent applications, performing clearance investigations, preparing patentability, noninfringement and invalidity opinions, and conducting due diligence investigations.
Flynt represents a diverse group of companies and institutions engaged in the mechanical and electromechanical industries. With a true international practice, Flynt not only represents domestic clients, but also clients outside the US, including Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
Flynt was recognized as a 2014 Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine. He currently serves on the advisory board of Virginia Tech’s Science, Technology, and Law (STL) Program and as Treasurer of the Carolina Patent Trademark & Copyright Law Association (CPTCLA).
- Go Ask 'Alice': Why Software Patents Are Still Valuable, Corporate Counsel, May 20, 2015
- Intellectual Property Advisory: A New Alternative for Expediting a Patent Application, July 25, 2014
- Treasurer, Carolina Patent, Trademark and Copyright Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Patent Law, 2021
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Intellectual Property, 2014
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Managed and supervised global mechanical patent portfolio for a world-leading agricultural products company.
- Conducted numerous noninfringement and invalidity investigations for a variety of Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies.
- Shaped and managed global patent strategy for a leading manufacturer of residential and commercial plumbing and roofing products.
- Managed and supervised global patent portfolio for a prominent consumer packaging and industrial products company.
- Prepared and filed a variety of US national phase applications for foreign-based clients, including clients in the automotive, medical device, robotic and fluid system industries.