Phil is a client-focused commercial real estate attorney with over 20 years representing clients in New York, North Carolina and throughout the USA. He works on a broad array of matters, with particular focus on tenant-side office & retail leasing, REIT transactions, solar/renewable energy leasing, residential development (single family homes and condos), and healthcare/senior housing.
Phil is licensed to practice in New York and North Carolina and does a significant amount of work in both states, as well as throughout the Firm’s footprint. His clients range from publicly traded REIT’s and Fortune 500 companies to locally and regionally focused developers and investors in commercial real estate.
Phil enjoys working closely with clients and crafting solutions in a timely manner that focus on that client's long-term goals and objectives. Phil is co-author of the Firm’s Healthcare Real Estate blog.
- The Civil Rights Act of 1991: A Continuation of the Wards Cove Standard of Business Necessity? William and Mary Law Review, Spring 1993
- Co-Author with Jean H. McCreary, EPAs Final Audit Policy: Applause, But No Ovation, Environmental Compliance & Litigation Strategy, Feb. 1996. Professional Liability Insurance Coverage for Law Firms: Understanding Key Policy Provisions and Educating Your Firm's Attorneys, 2011
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Negotiated numerous office leases of more than 100,000 s.f. for publicly-traded companies relocating their worldwide headquarters to North Carolina.
- Lead counsel to prominent tech company in negotiating a build-to-suit lease of 300,000 s.f. of showcase, collaborative office space in an urban brownfields development.
- Ongoing representation of upscale European furniture company in negotiating boutiquestore leases throughout the USA.
- Lead counsel to senior housing-focused REIT in its acquisition of independent living and memory care licensed facilities across three states.
- Due diligence lead counsel to a multibillion-dollar REIT in its $1.5 billion sale/leaseback transaction. Managed a team of 41 lawyers and paralegals that provided expedited review of title, survey and zoning for 660 properties located in 46 states and Canada.