Peter McLaughlin is a Privacy & Data Security attorney who advises clients with respect to a broad range of technology transactions, privacy and security issues. While maintaining a broad privacy practice, Peter focuses on innovative uses of data, especially with the life sciences and digital health sectors. He also guides clients in their domestic and international handling of personal information; new product development; and the assessment of legally defensible cybersecurity programs. The Legal 500 has recognized Peter’s work in the area of data protection and privacy as “extremely knowledgeable, competent and professional.”
Peter spent time several years in-house at a global Silicon Valley technology company and as Assistant General Counsel and global privacy officer for a multinational health firm. He has represented clients across industry sectors with respect to governing personal information; responding to regulators from the Federal Trade Commission, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and state attorneys general; and supporting post-enforcement compliance obligations. In short, Peter holds a preeminent position in this space.
Peter regularly speaks at events sponsored by the American Bar Association, the Practicing Law Institute, the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the International Technology Law Association, HIMSS, the Boston Bar Association, and RSA, among others.
- American Bar Association: Editor-in-Chief of The SciTech Lawyer (2018-2020); Healthcare Technology Committee Co-Chair (2017-2019); Science & Technology Section Council Member (2019-2022)
- Boston Bar Association: Privacy, Cybersecurity & Data Law Section, steering committee; Intellectual Property Section, steering committee; Internet & Technology Law Committee, Co-Chair
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- ITechLaw – the International Technology Law Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advised multiple clients, including a multinational ecommerce company and a consumer reporting company on their EU GDPR strategy and preparations.
- Assisted The World Bank and a Middle East government in development of a new data security and privacy law
- Advised a recruiting company on privacy rules across 45 countries.
- Counseled a multinational defense firm on its U.S. privacy and security compliance program and European data transfers.
- Conducted information security reviews of clients’ policies, procedures, and practices to determine the legal defensibility of the security program in the event of a security incident.
- Guided a multinational bank in development of data security provisions for vendors and their vendor assessment process.
- Advised health IT, medical device, and consumer product developers on data security requirements, and managing the engagement of technical consultants such as CrowdStrike and FireEye.
- Negotiated, drafted, and advised on dozens of software licenses, SaaS subscriptions, and other technology terms of service for clients ranging from startups to Fortune 50 companies, from both licensor and licensee/customer side.
- Ongoing representation in connection with drafting and negotiation information technology agreements, including software license agreements, cloud based and software-as-a-service agreements, technology services agreement, data security requirements and protections and vendor due diligence.