Nick has a diverse practice and strives to help clients overcome some of their most challenging issues.
Nick's practice includes counseling clients in complex corporate bankruptcy matters and bankruptcy-related litigation. Nick frequently represents debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, official committees of unsecured creditors, trustees, and agents throughout Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings. Nick also advises clients on alternatives to bankruptcy, such as consensual restructurings, receiverships, assignments for the benefit of creditors proceedings, and other state-law insolvency proceedings. Further, Nick frequently advises clients on creditor rights issues, both in and out of bankruptcy.
In addition, Nick has an active complex litigation practice and frequently appears before the Delaware Court of Chancery, the Delaware Superior Court, and the United States Court for the District of Delaware, as well as state and federal courts throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Nick’s wide-ranging commercial litigation experience includes representing business entities, investors, and directors and officers in actions related to contract disputes, business divorces, fiduciary matters and governance issues, intellectual property (including patent, trade secret, and trademark cases), and restrictive covenants.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Delaware Bankruptcy Inn of Court
- Rodney Inn of Court
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
Other Firm Activities
- Participant in the 2019-2020 Transatlantic Lawyer Network Program
- Member of Firm Pro Bono Committee
- Member of Firm Associate Advisory Committee
- Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Volunteer Attorney
- The Office of the Child Advocate of the State of Delaware, Volunteer Attorney
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, 2021 Edition (BL Rankings) for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Commercial Litigation
- Named to the 2020 Delaware Rising Stars list for Bankruptcy: Business by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters).
- In 2017, Nick was one of eight attorneys selected for the inaugural Bankruptcy Trial Practice Seminar sponsored by the Delaware Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. The seminar included various mock courtroom hearings before the judges of the Delaware Bankruptcy Court, as well as lectures and discussions led by the Delaware bankruptcy judges and other nationally recognized bankruptcy practitioners.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Member of team that successfully opposed a preliminary injunction that would have prevented an international drug company from launching its drug in the United States.
- Member of team defending a large Delaware chemical manufacturing company from various state law claims, including breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets. The lawsuit involved one of the company’s flagship products and the case was successfully litigated up until the client reached a favorable settlement of all claims.
- Member of team that sought a preliminary injunction to stop a competitor from misappropriating trade secrets in order to poach employees where a favorable settlement was reached shortly before trial.
- Member of team which successfully moved to dismiss a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case which the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware had found to be filed in bad faith.
- Regularly represents landlords, trade creditors, equipment lessors, and other parties in interest in contested bankruptcy proceedings and adversary proceedings before the Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- Member of team which represented Scout Media, Inc. (and its affiliates) in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
- Frequently counsels Delaware LLCs and corporations regarding corporate governance issues.