Michelle specialises in employment and partnership law. Michelle acts for SME and PLC employers predominantly in the financial services, professional practices and media sectors and senior executives at boardroom level, celebrities and those in the media in complex and sensitive employment and partnership matters, which often involve discrimination and where the stakes in terms of monetary value and reputational risk are high.
Michelle’s practice focuses on high-end City work. Michelle is a formidable negotiator and litigator with specialist expertise in class action discrimination claims relating to the provision of goods and services, restrictive covenants and injunctive relief, sexual harassment, whistle-blowing, employment-related FCA matters, internal investigations, employee shareholder status and bonus disputes.
Michelle provides tailored strategic and tactical advice to employer clients on challenging HR issues, including disciplinary and grievance matters, family-friendly issues, managing under-performance and handling long-term sickness absence and stress.
Michelle also specialises in contentious partnership issues and regularly advises partnerships, LLP’s, individual partners and members on team moves, restrictive covenants, garden leave, reducing partners’ notice periods, protection of confidential information, discrimination and whistleblowing claims, managing out under-performing or misbehaving partners, partners' retirement terms and advice on becoming an equity partner.
Examples of experience include advising:
- A large U.S law firm on poaching a partner and solicitor team from a U.K law firm competitor
- Board directors and senior management teams in connection with becoming employee shareholders and the employment rights they give up in return for acquiring shares,
- A global media corporation in relation to negotiating and drafting the contract terms for their new CEO
- A female FOREX trader at an investment bank in connection with equal pay and pregnancy/maternity-related discrimination in connection with her pay and bonus
- An FX investment banker in connection with gross misconduct allegations for breach of personal account trading rules and failure to notify a conflict of interest to compliance. Dealing with FCA issues in relation to approved person status.
"The extremely capable Michelle Chance …acts for partnerships and LLPs on contentious issues. She offers experience in the financial services, professional practices and media sectors."
"Michelle Chance is described by clients as "personable and measured."
"Michelle Chance advises partnerships, LLPs and individuals on contentious partnership law matters. Clients report "Michelle is great to deal with. She approaches problems from a very practical angle and provides the right level of support and guidance."
"Michelle Chance 'runs a very good team'."
"Michelle Chance is hands on."