Melissa Ferrario focuses her practice on trademark prosecution and dispute resolution. She routinely secures trademark registrations for clients from the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). She handles ex parte appeals and opposition and cancellation actions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), as well as Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings before the National Arbitration Forum. Melissa has played significant roles in federal litigation matters involving claims of trademark infringement, unfair competition, and cybersquatting.
Prior to joining the firm’s Trademark Group, Melissa litigated complex commercial and intellectual property disputes in federal courts. Her litigation experience includes drafting pleadings, dispositive and non-dispositive motions, discovery requests and responses, pretrial disclosures, and post-trial filings; taking and defending depositions; and managing document reviews and productions.
Melissa has served on the firm’s Recruiting Committee, Associates Committee, and Pro Bono Committee. Her pro bono service has included handling domestic violence and custody actions in state courts.
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2015 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained favorable decisions in ex parte appeals before the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board on issues of likelihood of confusion with identical mark and descriptiveness.
- Secured federal trademark registrations for clients from a variety of industries, including a multinational banking and financial services corporation, a global hospitality company, a leading firearms and ammunition manufacturer, and a global apparel company.
- Manages trademark prosecution and dispute matters in China for a Fortune 500 company.
- Drafted successful motion for preliminary injunction in trademark infringement matter in the US District Court for the District of Utah for a leader in the baking industry
- Participated in a patent infringement jury trial before the US District Court for the District of Delaware, as well as a misappropriation of trade secrets bench trial before the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.